Thursday, May 19, 2011

Connor's Preschool Graduation

I remember before I was a Mom and I would hear about the trend of preschool and elementary graduations, I always thought it was pretty lame. But now that my kid is "graduating" from preschool, I guess I have to admit it's a neat little rite of passage for these kiddos as they close one chapter and begin another.


Connor has been SO excited and talking about graduation for weeks. Last week he actually drew a picture depicting his graduation and I have to admit I was impressed. He captured many of the details of the church sanctuary where the graduation was held -- the stage, windows, doors, chairs, kids walking down the isle, and even parents in the audience with cameras (the little brown boxes, ha!). He even drew himself on stage wearing his cap and gown. When I asked him why he was the only one on stage, he said he thought it would be more fun that way. Ha!


After weeks of anticipation, Connor's preschool graduation ceremony was held this morning. Here he is before school. I could already tell it would be an interesting morning because Connor seemed to be in a "mood" since he woke up, ha!


Luckily we got to school early and managed a quick picture with Connor's sweet teachers, Mrs. Day and Ms. Mory. Mrs. Day is scheduled to be induced with her 2nd baby in a few days, so the entire class was praying she wouldn't go into labor before (or during, haha!) graduation.


The graduation ceremony was held in the church sanctuary and all the preschool kids performed on stage. They showed a slideshow of all the graduates during the ceremony. Unfortunately it was the one time all year they misspelled Connor's name. (Both of my kids are gonna have to get used to that!)


Here's the entire preschool group lined up for the performance. They all looked so cute.


They performed some songs and then the graduates left the stage to have their grand entrance before walking on stage. I think this was the part Connor was the most excited about. (You know Connor -- he loves to make an entrance!)



After the entrance, the kids walked across the stage to receive their diploma from their teachers. At this point I was juggling both the camera and the camcorder, and so neither my pictures or my video turned out very well. The video is WAY off center, but I wanted to post it for our memories. :-)




After receiving their diplomas, the graduates sang us a few more songs. The video below was one of my favorites. For some reason Connor was yawning and looking extremely bored throughout the entire ceremony.



After the ceremony, the graduates and their parents were treated to a little brunch reception. We made sure to get a couple of pictures with Mom and Dad.


Congratulations to our little preschool graduate! We love you, buddy!

5 comments:

  1. Two graduates in your house? Hope you're stocked with tissues!

    I love Connor's drawing. And the fact that every single parent had a camera. How cute! He looks so handsome in his cap and gown - so grown up, too. I just cannot believe that he is going to kindergarten next year. I feel like it was yesterday that he had his blonde curls and was pulling up on our ottoman and playing with his trains and cars. And now he is just skyrocketing his way to the top. Blink twice, and he'll be right where Collin is this year. Better enjoy these days while you can, girl. It only seems to go by faster and faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special day. I love how enthusiastic he is about special events. Too cute. His picture is great - definitely one to keep. He seems to pay great attention to details. A good skill for school!

    I used to think these graduations were silly too. We did them when I was teaching 5th grade and I got so annoyed at how excited/emotional the parents got. And when parents dropped their kids off at kindergarten I could never understand why they got SO emotional. I was like, what's the big deal?!?! Now I TOTALLY get it! Funny how having kids changes your opinion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a really done-right graduation!! I'm impressed! But, I am most impressed with Connor's drawing! That thing is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special, meaningful and emotional day for Connor, and Mom and Dad! :-) Just a few more months before it all begins. And then he'll really seem big. Funny how being a mom changes your perspective on things like this, huh!

    I love his pictures, they are adorable. He has the sweetest little face and smile. Glad he had such a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I can't tell you how impressed I am with Connor's drawings. I love the time, effort, details and thought that he put into his graduation picture. He is one talented boy!

    ReplyDelete