Thursday, February 18, 2010

Anatomy Lessons from a 3-year-old

The following are a few recent conversations between Connor and me. Lately he's been watching the PBS program Sid the Science Kid and so he's been learning all about anatomy.

Disclaimer: I apologize in advance if the last conversation offends anyone. Just an innocent exchange between mother and son, verbatim.


A couple weeks ago after breakfast:

Mommy: "Connor, come on. You need to brush your teeth."
Connor: "Why do I always have to brush my teeth?"
Mommy: "To take good care of them."
Connor: "I don't want to! I don't want to brush my teeth."
Mommy: "If you don't brush your teeth, you will get cavities and your teeth will fall out." (I know, probably not the smartest approach to entice better teeth cleaning habits.)
Connor: (later that same day, out of the blue) "Mom, I know! I can use some tape on my teeth when they fall out to hold them in! Isn't that a great idea?!"


At lunch this week:

Connor: "When you eat food, it goes into your mouth and down your neck. And then it swishes around in your turmmy and goes all the way down through your body all the way to your toes and just sits there."
Mommy: "Very smart!"
Connor: (after pondering this for a moment) "Do I have a chair in my toes?"
Mommy: "Uh, no."
Connor: "Then how does the food sit in my toes?"


In the car driving home:

Mommy: "I need to pee pee so bad!"
Connor: "Oh! Make sure you hold that pee pee in!"
Mommy: "I will."
Connor: "Are you holding it in your penis?"
(brief pause as I choke down my drink)
Connor: "Why are you laughing? What's so funny?"
Mommy: "Um, girls don't have a penis."
Connor: "Then how does their pee pee come out of their penis?"
Mommy: (trying to play it safe) "Girls don't have a penis. God made them with different parts."
Connor: "You know, boys have a penis. To pee pee and to play with."
(another choke, this time with a spray of soda all over the dash of the car)

8 comments:

  1. Those conversations are hilarious! Especially the last one. Aren't you glad you are at home with Connor? You wouldn't be able to have all of those precious conversations if you weren't. Can't wait to hear all of the crazy things that come out of Jackson's mouth when he's Connor's age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lauri, that is hilarious! Connor is so curious and you can tell his little mind is working so hard to figure it all out! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay... I just spewed coffee... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't this age the greatest? Well, some of the time. :-) I love how their little minds work. Connor cracks me up! Kudos to you for documenting all of the cute things he is saying - he will appreciate it one day (...or not)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could publish a book. I mean, you just can't make this stuff up. He is TOO funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. boys are certainly different creatures, no?

    ReplyDelete
  7. man... I gotta stop reading these in class. that last one definitely got the prof's attention when I almost choked on my Coke. Good one.

    ReplyDelete