Tuesday, August 3, 2010

These Boys

I often feel guilty for always posting pictures and stories about the little kids with very few updates on the older boys. The biggest reason is probably because they aren't too fond of getting their picture taken these days, but being a stepmom is a big part of my life so I want to make sure I include them on the blog every now and then.

What to say about these boys?

Yes, it was a challenge to "mesh" as a family unit in the beginning, but things soon began to change for the better once Connor arrived.



They took to Connor immediately and soon thereafter began to accept me in my role as stepmom. As a new mother, I soon learned that having 2 extra pairs of hands to entertain and help with Connor was such a blessing.



With Jeff as their father, these boys can't help but be such naturals with kids. They are both going to be awesome Dads themselves one day.





Fast forward a few years... I admit that at times it is really tough to enjoy having teenagers around. The awkwardness, the attitude, the laziness...yes, it's just a part of growing up but definitely not what I would call fun times for parents. And since I'm just the stepmom, my authority and say-so are diminished just a bit (as they should be) so I can't necessarily say what I want to say like I would with Connor and Kaitlynn. But, when I take a step back it's easy to see how these boys have blessed my life in so many ways.

Collin, now 17, is about to be a high school senior and has really blossomed into a handsome, responsible, charming young man. He has been working as a lifeguard and swim instructor for 2 summers, and this summer he actually became a pool manager. Collin has such a neat personality and treats his girlfriends (so many of them, ha ha) respectfully, which is nice to see these days. Sometimes he just sits down with Jeff and I and talks so maturely that we wonder what happened to that awkward teenage boy from times past.



And watching Collin with Kaitlynn just melts my heart. She adores him and will sit in his lap for long stretches of time playing with his cell phone or just enjoying the time with her brother. She certainly doesn't do that for any of the rest of us!



Kevin, on the other hand, is 15 and right in the middle of the more challenging teenage years. He's still trying to figure things out -- friends, parents, grades, etc. We all remember those days, right?! It feels eerily similar to when Collin went through it at the same age, so we know there is hope! He is becoming quite the handsome young man, and the ladies seem to agree judging from the 1000 text messages he receives on a daily basis, ha!



And just like his older brother, Kevin has such endearing qualities. He has a gentle nature and sensitive side that he tries to keep under wraps. He and Connor seem to have developed that special brotherly bond (i.e. fighting and picking on each other nonstop), but he always reserves some sweet smiles and hugs for his baby sister.



Yep, I'm truly blessed to have these boys in my life.

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet post about two very handsome young men! You are indeed lucky to have them around to help with Connor and Kaitlynn! Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauri, that was such a sweet post. I think it's important to look for the blessings - especially in the crazy teenage years. The love these boys have shown to Connor and Kaitlynn is something C and K will grow up to cherish forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, it isn't always easy blending families, but you guys are doing a great job. Looks like you have two fine young men growing up right in front of your eyes. Awesome. Especially in the teenage years!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a sweet post, Lauri! I've always admired the way that you and Jeff have made sure that his boys are very much a part of your family. And I'm so proud of you for sticking it out and loving them through the rough times. One day, when they are older, they will definitely appreciate you. :-) And what a blessing for Kaitlynn and Connor to have a few extra playmates. I sure could use an older boy around here to play with Jackson. He LOVES big kids!

    ReplyDelete