Friday, July 30, 2010

Kaitlynn's Room

How sad is it that it took me until after Kaitlynn turned 1 to finally fix up and decorate her bedroom? Maybe it was all my dear friends (you know who you are!) who have been remodeling, redecorating, and creating baby rooms that finally inspired me to finish (ok, start) Kaitlynn's nursery/bedroom. Whatever it was, I wanted to make sure I shared the end result.

I'm embarrassed to even show these pictures, but here are shots of Kaitlynn's room before with the yellow paint and crooked wall letters. Oh, and I should probably mention that the gun in the picture is a TOY gun that we keep stashed under her crib to reach lost pacifiers, ha!







The first thing to go in the room was the pale yellow paint color. It worked fine for Connor's room but I was really getting tired of it. Plus, I just thought Kaitlynn needed something more girly. I decided on a pale pink color (called Barely Pink). Collin owed Jeff some work hours so he agreed to paint with lots of help from Jeff and Connor. And yes, Collin is in his boxer shorts. Being a summer lifeguard, he rarely wears a shirt these days.







We bought a few blank canvases and used some of the leftover wall paint to let the boys create some wall art for Kaitlynn's room. Her bedding has a circle pattern so I asked them to somehow incorporate circles in their artwork. Here they are creating their masterpieces with Kaitlynn looking on.









It was a fun little family project and the pictures turned out neat. We also stenciled some white circles on the main wall and that's probably my favorite thing about the whole room. Here are the "after" pictures.

Walking in, you see Collin's picture on the far wall. The chair and ottoman in the room will probably go soon since we never use it.



Here are Kevin and Connor's more abstract pieces of art, ha! And the little bulletin board was decorated with polka dots by my cousin Robin, and it has Kaitlynn's shower and birth announcement on it.



Probably my favorite "find" of all -- a pink polka dot wooden cross with the Bible verse that was on Kaitlynn's birth announcement.



Here you can see the main wall of the room with the stenciled circles. Her wall letters were just about impossible to hang, so this is what we came up with.



Phew! 1 room down and about 10 to go, ha ha!

7 comments:

  1. A very pretty room for a very pretty little girl! Love, MeMe

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a GREAT family project! I love, love, love the abstract art pieces!! I've always wanted to do that, but have been pretty sure it wouldn't be fit to hang if I did it! LOL! It looks great. I love the circles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, her room is adorable! I LOVE the color pink you chose for the walls, the circles are so creative and the pieces of art the boys created are great! What a fun family event, all for sweet little Kaitlynn. I'm sure she did a great job overseeing all that hard work! Way to go girl, it looks great and I bet you are glad to have that behind you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE her new room!!!! I really think it is neat how you got the boys involved in each creating their own masterpiece to hang in her room. Very creative and such a great idea! (I never would have thought of that!) You rock! You may have waited a year.....but once you did it, you did it right! Kaitlynn will grow up thinking her room was always perfect! Kudos to the whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, it looks great! And she will never know she was a year old when it was done. Nursery decor is for moms anyway - not the baby. I absolutely love the fact that you got the whole family in on the action. What a fun memory. I love the colors and the circles are perfect. Way to go!!! So glad Jeff was able to help out before going back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just chuckled out loud because I, too, am just now getting around to putting Alex's nursery in order. We are on the same track, girl. And I guess we're better late than never. =) I love that you got the whole family involved in the redo. Any chance you can commission them for the other 10 rooms? =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to use your idea to use homemade artwork! Special and cheap!

    ReplyDelete