Thursday, June 18, 2009

Update from Home

Today is Kaitlynn's 3rd day at home. We are really enjoying having her around, but unlike most newborns I've encountered she's so quiet it's easy to forget she's here! It has become a real challenge to wake her up. She sleeps ALL the time and hasn't once woken up on her own. So this morning I'm hoping to get her in to see the pediatrician. She may have some symptoms of jaundice, but mostly I want to make sure her extreme sleepiness isn't a sign of something else. She hasn't made much progress on nursing (mostly because she's so sleepy) so I've been pumping and also supplementing some with formula. She does a little better with the bottle. It'll be interesting to see how much she weighs today. She's so small that most of her newborn clothes still completely swallow her!

UPDATE from 12:00 pm: We just got back from the ER. I tried getting in to the pediatrician this morning and they just weren't responsive enough, and by that time Jeff and I had worked ourselves into a panic about her. So we went to the local ER (right around the corner from our house). They got us right in but it still was a several hour process. It took them forever to get a vein for blood and IV fluids. Then they ran bloodwork and urine analysis. Finally everything came back -- perfectly normal! The bilirubin was a little high - 10.2, and if it gets to 12 or 13 she'll need to get treatment. Anyway, we feel very relieved and so we'll just keep doing what we've been doing. It was so funny because as soon as we got home from the ER, Kaitlynn was wide awake and crying for milk. We were like, if we had just waited 3 hours.... Ha! Probably a sign of things to come with her! ;-)

Yesterday Jeff and Connor gave Kaitlynn her first bath at home. She slept through most of it and then woke up at the end. We also asked Uncle Justin to take some quick family pics ... enjoy!

Kaitlynn's first bath at home.
Not too happy in this shot!All clean!
Jeff, Connor, and Kevin make sure she's clean.
I love this picture - she's finally wide awake and her blond hair is so fluffy!
Getting a bottle.
Nice and cozy.
Courtright kiddos.
Our newest family photo.

5 comments:

  1. I love all the pictures! Looks like everyone is really enjoying having a new baby sister in the house! Love, MeMe

    ReplyDelete
  2. So precious!! Love the new family photo. We'll pray that she's just a sleepy girl and nothing to be too concerned about. Let us know. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet family you have. You guys look great and Connor so proud of his little sister! I love it! I know how bothersome it can be to have such a sleepy baby in the beginning. I'm glad everything checked out ok in the ER. She looks so sweet with her eyes open and all that blonde hair! Hopefully she will start waking up more! You are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photos! So fun to watch the boys showing their love. I still can't get over how small she looks compared to Jeff! Hope baby girl starts waking up more and eating like she should. Wish I were there to get to see her in person. I wonder if she'll be a snuggler like Connor was...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaitlynn looks so beautiful! I love the family photos! Are you in pre-pregnancy clothes? (I'm not sure that I really want you to answer that!) I pray that Kaitlynn will start waking up more frequently to eat but still be a good little sleeper! I think she's just going to be a good baby! Love, Julie

    ReplyDelete