Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday Updates and Pics

Here are some recent updates with Kaitlynn. Today we visited her pediatrician for the first time. He was very pleased with her coloring (no jaundice!) and also that she has gained back much of the weight that she lost at the hospital. She is up to 6 pounds 10 ounces, so at least we know she is growing well. The doctor also didn't seem too worried about Kaitlynn's sleepiness. He thinks we should feed her every 2-3 hours during daytime and then let her sleep as long as she wants at night. I told him that if I let her sleep at night, she just would never wake up on her own (at least she hasn't so far) but he didn't seem worried by that. I've been waking her every 4 hours at night for feedings, so tonight at his suggestion I may extend it to 5 hours and see what happens.

And now please allow me to vent a little about breastfeeding. I'm convinced it's the best thing for Kaitlynn, but she is still not latching on well. I've been pumping since we came home from the hospital so that I could ensure she was eating enough but also to establish my milk supply. For the first few days Kaitlynn nursed better than she is doing now, and I'm sure it's because we introduced bottles which are SO much easier for her. When I try to nurse her now, she gets so mad and just WAILS out of frustration. I want so much to get to exclusive nursing (instead of pumping) but for now it's just so much easier to pump and bottle-feed. Everyone I talk to about this assumes I just need to work with a lactation consultant, but I have visited with 3 different consultants and they all said I was doing just fine. Fine?? Well I disagree because if I weren't supplementing with bottles then Kaitlynn would certainly have lost more weight by now. Anyway, I think my next step is to find a day to forego pumping completely and just try to nurse as often as we can until Kaitlynn just figures it out. The pediatrician thinks this approach will eventually work but of course may be very frustrating for both of us in the meantime.

OK, enough about that! Although it's been a hectic week, we are really enjoying Kaitlynn's presence in our family. She is so sweet, and our favorite times are when she's wide awake and looking intently at us with those blue eyes. Sometimes she's so quiet that we forget she's around though! Next week Jeff is returning to work, so Connor will be going to stay with my parents for the week while I try to get adjusted with the baby at home. It is so nice to have the wonderful help! We've also received some sweet gifts from family and friends this week and I've included some pics below to share.

Here she is wide awake! Love to see those eyes.

Kevin feeds his little sis a bottle.
So cuddly and cozy.
Here is a precious baby girl vase and beautiful flowers from Jeff's co-workers. I was impressed since he works with all guys and they sent this gift on their own accord!
Here is a beautiful homemade quilt we received from Jeff's Aunt Katie. She is tremendously talented and also made a quilt for Connor when he was newborn. I think it will look perfect hung on the wall in Kaitlynn's nursery. Thank you so much Aunt Katie!
Here are two handmade personalized bibs from Benjamin's (Connor's best friend) Noni and Poppy. They are so soft and beautiful!
And here are personalized burp cloths from Benjamin and his family - so precious! Benjamin's mom Julie and I have gotten close since our boys are such great friends, and I have been so blessed by her friendship.

4 comments:

  1. Love all the flowers and fun gifts! And she is just as precious as she could be.

    For the breastfeeding thing, I think you should do what you mentioned - no bottles for a few days and see how it goes. It took Jackson a couple of weeks before he was latched on well and getting lots of milk and he did lose weight but he eventually got it. I think if you keep doing the bottle she'll prefer that. We didn't do the bottle with Jackson until week 3 - 4. Jackson was 6 lbs., 9 oz when he was born and only 6 lbs. when we left the hospital. It took a couple of weeks for him to get back to his birth weight. I remember being SO worried about it too. I HATED pumping so much that I would fight through the BF for a few days before I would go to straight pumping. But that's just my two cents. I know lots of moms prefer pumping and feeding a bottle. Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure she'll be fine!

    Can't wait to see her at the end of July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lauri,
    I'm so sorry to hear that the breasfeeding isn't going as smoothly as you had hoped. Just remember she is not even a week old yet and it will happen with time. I remember how frustrating it can be when they won't wake up to eat and then when she does eat it's difficult. It took Luke 3 weeks to gain back his birth weight b/c the breastfeeding was so hard for us. But I was determined to make it work. My advice to you is to drop the bottle for now and exclusively breastfeed for the next few weeks and see what happens. Even if the next few weeks are hard, it will be worth it in the long run and much easier for you. She will eventually get the hang of it. Hang in there girlie. I'm thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck at nursing -- it never worked out for me although i really wanted it to, especially with abby since i was able to stay home with her for longer before going back to work. i'll keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yeah -- our pediatrician did the same advice with allowing the baby to sleep as long as they wanted at night (she was a working mom herself and appreciated a need for sleep!). that's one bit of advice i definitely support from experience. all for waking them up during the day if it allows me to sleep at night.....

    ReplyDelete