Friday, September 24, 2010

Master Bedroom Redo

Since I've become so inspired to finally make some much-needed updates to our home, I decided to tackle our master bedroom next. (And it just so happens to be Master Bedroom day on Show Us Your Life on Kelly's Korner, so I linked up for fun!)

I have been so embarrassed about the state of this room for so long. It had become a giant storage closet of sorts with the kids' clothes and things piled in diaper boxes in the corner. I also had a huge container of pictures and wall hangings that had just been sitting against the wall, just waiting to be hung, for over 2 years. 2 years!! Anyone that knows me well would be surprised that I had let our room get so cluttered and undecorated, but honestly I just didn't have the energy or motivation to deal with it since we moved in almost 3 years ago. Maybe it was a phase?! Anyway, as I said, I'm very embarrassed but here are some "Before" shots:

Here's the room when you first walked in -- bland to say the least!



Here's the other side of the room. That god-awful mirror was already on the wall when we moved in and after having it there for 3 years, I have to admit it has become nice to use when I need a full-length view of my outfit, ha!



And finally, here is the source of all my shame (I jest. Sort of.) The kids' bedrooms are upstairs but over the years I've found that I prefer having their clothes and things downstairs because that's where we typically get them dressed and ready. Hence, the dreaded corner lined with diaper boxes and plastic containers full of clothes, diapers, you-name-it.



So, on to the redo.

First, I got rid of the cluttered corner by cleaning out my dresser to make room for all the kids' clothes. What didn't fit in the dresser now resides in the bathroom closet.

Second, I found some new bedding. I hate painting so much that I managed to find some bedding I really liked that would work with the existing sage green walls.

Next, I dragged out some old curtains that we used in our old house. Turns out, they match the new bedding perfectly. Although they are too long, I was able to bunch them up and make them work by using some tassles I already had. I also ordered a bench to go right under the windows in the room, mostly for some additional storage for all my books.

Then I asked Jeff for another simple update: removing the mirror that was attached to the dresser. I just like the look better without it (plus, who needs another mirror when we have the wall-sized mirror on the other size of the room!)

Speaking of mirrors, we had our favorite contractor over to build some custom trim around the wall mirror. I love the way it turned out, and it was much easier than removing the mirror and having to repaint/retexture the wall.



Next, I changed out the ugly brass doorknobs and ceiling fan for a nice bronze color. (Our house is filled with these brass fixtures. Why do builders do this??)

And finally, I added some of my favorite family pictures and other wall/room decor to add just the right touches to the room. Here are some closeups of some pictures we hung. I love the ones of Connor and Kaitlynn as babies at the same age. Even I have a hard time telling them apart in the photos!










So here you go, the final result! I admit I'm so proud of the updates and I feel like the room is SO much more welcoming and reflective of my personal style.










Now, on to the next room... :-)

9 comments:

  1. Lauri - it looks SO good. Better late than never, right? It's not like you've been busy with a new baby and a busy pre-schooler...we can all understand how that happens! My house is such a mess these days! I think you did a great job and you will definitely enjoy retiring to your bedroom for the night with the beautiful updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the before and after. It looks beautiful!! You did a great job. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Goodness! This looks beautiful! I can't get over how different it looks! I know you must be so excited to enjoy it everyday - especially now that you're at home throughout the day. =) You go girl - this is awesome. Oh, and I'm super impressed that you linked up for a linky party. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What a transformation! Great job, Lauri. And, I know you enjoy it everytime you walk in the room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you did with the mirror and your new bedding.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh girl. You have been B.U.S.Y. I know that takes a lot of time planning and doing. It looks GREAT! I love all the framed pictures you put up. And the new bedding is so pretty and goes so well with your paint color. The curtains are perfect. And do tell where you got that cute little bench. It looks perfect under your windows. I would have never thought about putting a bench there. It looks just great. I know you must be so glad to have that behind you now. Kaitlynn's room- check. Master- check. Can't wait to see the next room(s). :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful transformation!! Those linens bring that room alive! The paint looks new with the bedding! The photos are so sweet too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! It sounds like you did a great job of using some things you already had (curtains/wall mirror) and adding new touches (new ceiling fan/bedding)! It looks very inviting! Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete