Wednesday, September 8, 2010

All About Connor

It's Connor's 2nd week of school and he just completed his first big project. The assignment was called "All About Me" and Connor was asked to find pictures, magazine clippings, etc. of things that describe himself and affix them to a yellow star that was provided by his teacher. Of course, the parents were asked to help and I admit I probably helped a little too much, but then again...he's only 4!

Here's Connor working on his star.



Connor and I brainstormed a list of things that described him (his family, his favorite food/color/movie, etc.) and then we printed some images from the computer to include on his star. The star turned out great and I told Connor that he was probably going to have to talk about his star in front of his class. Well, that was all it took. He was super excited and wanted to practice. So he stood in front of me several times introducing himself and talking about his star, and then he gave repeat performances for the rest of the family later in the day. This was right up his alley.

Here's Connor doing a dry run of his presentation about his star.



When it came time for his school presentation, I asked if he would be nervous. "I'm not shy of school, Mom," he told me indignantly. So he gave his school presentation today and I couldn't wait to hear how it went from Connor and his teacher. Mrs. Day said she was cracking up the entire time Connor talked about his star because he was so into it. She offered to hold his star for him while he talked about it, but he insisted that he wanted to hold it himself. He went on to describe (in great detail, said Mrs. Day) everything on his star and was so excited to present to the class. I must admit, I assumed he would get stage fright but that wasn't the case at all. And you gotta love his enthusiasm! Way to go, Connor!

His teachers hung all the kids' stars in their classroom and I couldn't resist getting a picture on the way out.



Here's the only close-up of Connor's star I managed.



In case you were wondering, here are the things that were on Connor's "All About Me" star:

  • In the middle, a recent picture of his family.

  • A picture of Lightning McQueen from one of his favorite movies, Cars.

  • An orange crayon to represent his favorite color.

  • A CiCi's Pizza logo, his fave place to eat (you wouldn't believe how much he eats when he goes there).

  • A sticker of a soccer ball with Connor's name on it, because he's going to start playing soccer this fall.

  • A picture of Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story, another favorite movie as well as his Halloween costume this year.

  • A Houston Texans logo (duh) and a picture of Connor in his football uniform and helmet.

  • A picture of an airplane that Connor drew because he loves to fly.

  • And finally, Connor's name in his own handwriting.

4 comments:

  1. Yea for Connor! No doubt he is the "star" of his class! Love, MeMe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love his star and I LOVE his enthusiasm! Has he taken the acting class yet? I'm dying to know how it went/goes!!! Connor is so precious. I love that you helped him so much with his star. what a good momma!

    I was thinking about this the other day - do you remember in high school when we had to write a fairy tale and you came over to my house and helped me with mine? I'd been working on it for days (I'm a terrible writer) and you helped me finish it in no time. We wanted to go do something so you helped me finish it up really quickly so we could go have some fun. Random memory but it makes me smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is his mother's son. Star pupil. Lots of excitement. Thinks of everything.

    I knew he was not going to have stage fright. He is well prepared from those "cooking show" rehearsals. =)

    I think we might be able to add public/motivational speaker to the list of career options that Connor could consider. He'd be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, that was so darn cute! I had the biggest smile on my face the whole time. What a sweetheart he is! And SO proud of his "All about Connor" star! How is that acting class going? I think he could teach the class a little something about performing! Ah, so so cute and innocent! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete