Monday, July 12, 2010

Rainbows

The other day Jeff joined Connor, Kaitlynn, and I to make a quick trip to the grocery store. A nasty storm was about to blow in, so we were in a hurry to grab our groceries and get home. On our way out of the store, it had started sprinkling and the skies overhead were getting dark. To my surprise and delight, I looked up to see a rainbow in the distance. I love rainbows! Jeff and I pointed it out to Connor and as we were looking at it, we noticed that we could see the entire rainbow arch over the Kroger store. It was beautiful and was probably the most vividly colored rainbow I'd ever seen. We just stood there staring at it as the rain picked up and began to drench us. These pictures don't do it justice since they were from my phone.





On the way home, Jeff and I talked to Connor about the meaning of rainbows. We explained all about Noah and the Great Flood and how God shows us rainbows as a promise that he will never again flood the earth. Connor was truly fascinated with the story and asked to hear it over and over again. Soon he started asking to hear more stories from the Bible. We read from his Bible and also looked up some kid-friendly Bible stories on the Internet. He now asks us several times a day to read him some Bible stories, and he loves to talk about the stories he has learned and ask lots of questions.

It has been so rewarding to see Connor's eagerness and excitement about learning these stories that I have long taken for granted. I grew up hearing them as a kid so I guess I feel like I know them and don't have much to learn. But as we learned in Vacation Bible School last week, God's word is surprising and you just never know what you might find, even in the same old stories I grew up with. So I guess I owe Connor a big "thank you" for reminding me that a rainbow isn't just a rainbow. Funny how sometimes kids become the teachers to us parents!

4 comments:

  1. Wow - I need to be taught over and over again everyday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful rainbow! I love it. I'm so glad Connor was interested in the story of the rainbow and other Bible stories. I look forward to Jackson asking to learn more! Kids can often be the best teachers or reminders of what is really important in life. Sometimes I'm in such a hurry or irritated about something and then I hear Jackson say something sweet or start singing and the rest of the world goes away. That's one of the best parts about having kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post Lauri. And good for you and Jeff for using such a simple thing as a rainbow to teach stories from the bible. And it's so great that Connor appreciates the stories and wants to hear more. Every time I bring up God, church etc, all Jacob says is church is yucky and boring! I'm ready for this phase to pass and for him to be eager to learn more about our faith!

    I love that the innoncence of kids can teach us so much and remind us of so much! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you took advantage of the "teachable moment" that was presented in seeing the rainbow! Those moments make much more impression than any object lesson that could be planned! When we open our eyes to God's hand in everything around us....now that's Priceless! Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete