Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sleeping Habits

A few months ago, Jeff and I noticed a new behavior in Connor. When he sleeps, he now likes to pull his covers over his head. Tight. It's like he can't sleep without having his head completely covered with the blankets. We've tried talking to him about it to get him to stop. I mean, it can't be good for him to be breathing all that used air, can it?



But he continues to sleep this way. So every night before we turn in, we head upstairs to pull down the covers from Connor's head. I'm hoping it's a phase.



Around the same time Connor started his new sleeping habit, Kaitlynn developed one of her own. Jeff came to bed one night telling me that Kaitlynn was asleep face down right up next to her crib bumper. I went upstairs to see, and sure enough, her face was perfectly positioned flat against the crib mattress, face down. It really made me nervous so I turned her head to the side, waking her up in the process.

(OK, I realize that sounds silly and a bit paranoid. But any Mom with a baby is always nervous about SIDS--sudden infant death syndrome--and it's suggested that babies are safer on their backs when they sleep.)

Now I know that Kaitlynn is strong enough to sleep on her tummy without it being a big deal. But if you walked in and saw her sleeping like this, wouldn't YOU be a little nervous too?











So for now I usually end up peeking in on both kids (often) while they're sleeping, just to make sure they're both still breathing! Call me crazy, but I'm hoping these sleeping habits won't last too much longer.

6 comments:

  1. That is hilarious! Those kids are going to laugh at these pictures one day. I'd be nervous too, in both situations! I absolutely hate having the covers over my head. I think it's hilarious that he keeps pulling them up. And how can that be comfortable for Kaitlynn? But she sure seems to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be nervous, too. SIDS is terrifying, isn't it?! I just can't imagine how either one of those babies can be comfortable. I have a feeling that both of them are indeed going through phases. You know how it is with kids - everyday it's something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay....I hate both of those positions! Please tell them that MeMe said to STOP!!!! Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, I would be sooo nervous too. Especially with that nose down position Kaitlynn is doing! That can't be good or comfortable. And I got to witness Connor's habit first hand when it was nap time at my house over Christmas. Too funny! I would think he would get so hot under there. When I play under the sheet with the boys it is so hot under there and it's not even tight! I would be right there with you, checking on them all the time when they are sleeping! Surely it's a phase and will pass soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, that's funny! Scary, yes...but cute nonetheless. Connor is hilarious and probably wouldn't worry me too much. Kaitlynn, while precious, would scare me too! Let's hope she grows out of that soon! I am convinced that this is telling us something about her personality - we just don't know what that is yet! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to point out the irony that, even when they are sleeping well, they stress the sleep of their parents! LOL! I'll hope for you that it is a phase for them, too! Kaitlynn does appear to be sleeping quite well!

    ReplyDelete