Wednesday, January 13, 2010

It CAN Be Done!

Last week Connor had another meltdown reminiscent of his ones from last summer. You remember, the ones where I was convinced we would have to call Supernanny. I thought we were past all that, but last Sunday after the Texans game Connor just lost all control. He was beyond exhausted, but I was still surprised at how quickly he escalated into meltdown mode. Kicking, screaming, crying, hitting...you name it. Who IS this child??

Anyway, during his many outbursts I threatened to take away TV if he didn't shape up. He didn't. Gasp. No TV? For an entire day??

Well, I was determined to follow through. Maybe no TV for a day sounds easy to some. But TV has become a major fixture for us since I started staying at home. I realize we should cut back. And we have cut back some. But to take it away completely? For a whole day? Well, that's just madness! And not just because Connor loves it. Have I mentioned that Kaitlynn has developed a fondness for TV as well?





Guess what? It wasn't so bad! It CAN be done! What did we do instead of watch Disney or Nick Jr? We played with alphabet flashcards. We worked in Connor's preschool activity book. We did a cooking show. We danced. We acted out some scenes from one of Connor's favorite TV shows. (Oops, that doesn't count as TV does it?)

Hmmm, maybe I need to shut that TV off more often!

2 comments:

  1. That is great Lauri! You guys had a very productive day, I'm impressed. I know it's not easy playing in their pretend land for long so kuddos to you for making a day of it! I'm sure there were "3 special steps" acted out at some point in the day! hahha

    I'm so glad you mentioned your issues with blogger b/c mine isn't updating either. The last post I had for you was Sweet Laughter and you had posted 2 new ones since then. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you guys - about not watching t.v. for a day and for following through with Connor! Sounds like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete