Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Princess Night

A couple of weeks ago, we visited our local Chick-fil-A and Connor noticed a sign on the door. It was a flyer announcing that Jan. 26 would be Princess Night with an appearance by Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and Tinkerbell. The sign also said that anyone dressed as a prince or princess would get a free ice cream. Well, that's all it took. Connor was SO excited and just couldn't stop talking about Princess Night.

He said, "Mom, I need to dress like a prince so I can get some ice cream!"

I said, "What does a prince look like?"

"Well," he replied thoughtfully, "the prince wears ball shoes and has big shoulders." At this point I was thinking that this kid has watched WAY too much of the Cinderella movie at his MeMe's house! (That's the only place he can watch it, thanks to all his many girl cousins.)

So I start to leave Chick-fil-A and Connor asks, "Mom, what will YOU wear on Princess Night?"

"I don't have any princess clothes," I replied.

"Well, maybe you can get some at the Chick-fil-A princess store." He was very concerned that I have the proper attire for the big event. But then he added, "But I don't know if they have one around here..." and he seemed to ponder that for a while.

Seriously, I can't make this stuff up.

For the last couple weeks, Connor would bring up Princess Night at the most random times. He clearly wasn't going to forget about it. Then this morning, he woke up and asked about it again. It was like he knew today was the big day, and he wasn't going to let me forget about it.

So this evening after naptime we all got dressed up and headed to Chick-fil-A. Both kids were dressed as close to a prince and princess as we could get by digging around in their closets. And I dressed up from my usual casual jeans/sweats by actually wearing a dressy shirt and boots. Connor was NOT happy with my appearance--he was expecting a ball gown--until I pointed out my dangling, sparkling pearl earrings and necklace. His eyes lit up and he seemed to appreciate my efforts.

Here are the kids all dressed up and ready for Princess Night.



We arrived at Chick-fil-A early and it was already packed. We sat down with some dinner, and Connor said "Mom! This is so exciting!"

All of a sudden the princesses came walking by our table. Connor flushed from head to toe. I'm not kidding, his sweet little cheeks were crimson--whether from fear or adoration, I'm not sure. I said, "Come on! Let's get in line to get a picture with Snow White." But he wouldn't have anything to do with it. I finally convinced him to get a picture with her, as long as Kaitlynn and I were in the picture too. We waited in line for 10 minutes, and when it was finally our turn he totally chickened out! He stood in the picture but wouldn't get close and certainly wouldn't smile. After all of that effort!





By the time we left, that place was so packed you couldn't even walk through the crowd. And the entire time we were there I only saw one other little boy who dressed up, but he wasn't a prince. He was Spiderman.

I don't think we'll be attending Princess Night again anytime soon!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Lauri that is the best post ever! I love Connor's enthusiam for things. And those pictures are so funny. After all that and he wouldn't even get near the princess, too funny! You should definitely wait on going to Disney World then! haha. But what a wonderful mommy you are for gearing up and taking them to this b/c he was so excited about it. Tonight at our CFA, was wear your pj's and get a free kids meal. So, we were all over that...two free kids meals!! Jacob changed into his pj's around 4:00 this afternoon, he just couldn't wait. And on the way there he said "Mom I thought you were going to wear pj's too". It was too funny! Isn't CFA the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH - MY - GOSH! That is the sweetest thing ever! I am so impressed with Connor and the things he see/says! He is just the cutest! Such a sensitive soul - wanting everyone to be dressed appropriately. I can't even tell you how cute that is!!!!! I realize it didn't have the outcome you expected after he was excited for so long, but those pictures are priceless, and what a special night for all 3 of you! I think you have more "Princess" days in your future with that precious baby girl! So get ready! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was "howling" with laughter! I know how much Connor loves the Princess movies....especially Cinderella. We always talk about our favorite parts of the movie...his is the wedding....mine is when Cinderella fits her foot into the glass slipper.....GrandDaddy's is "THE END". Ha! Funny, funny post! Love, MeMe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok. That could be the cutest story I've ever heard. Then again, all of Connor's stories are cute. I sure am glad you're writing about these down so that you can go back and reminisce about them one day.

    I don't know what's cuter - that he was ready to get all decked out as a prince AND that he knew some very particular components of the prince-wear, that he was concerned with your princess get-up (or his perceived lack thereof), or that he was not one bit pleased about having to be in the picture with the princess at Chick-fil-A after days of anticipation of the event! What a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously... that last part made me laugh out loud. That is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laurie! It was great getting your post! Hope you guys are doing well! That's such a sweet story about Princess night! Not to mention you made my mouth water by having a whole post about Chickfila. It is my FAVORITE and there are none in Minnesota!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH. MY. GOODNESS. That story is just too good, Lauri! And, very well told. How fun that you will have this to read down the road and remember this sweet moment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You earn a gold star for that. I know you were probably not looking forward to princess night but I know it meant the world to Connor -even though he didn't want his picture taken once he was there. That story is absolutely precious!!!

    ReplyDelete