Tuesday, October 20, 2009

What I Do All Day

For over a month now, I have meant to write a post about a big change in my life. For some reason I just can't seem to find the right words. So I'll keep it short and sweet. In September I made the difficult decision to leave my job and become a stay-at-home Mom. It's something Jeff and I have talked about for a while, but when the time came I found that it was so much harder than I anticipated. I spent a couple weeks in tears as the realization and finality of it all settled in. Now I'm over a month into my new "job" and I'm much more at peace about it. I feel incredibly blessed to have the opportunity to stay at home, and I'm definitely enjoying the time I get to spend with my kids. Just like my former job, I have good days and bad days.

Everyone I talk to admits that having a good routine is key, but I admit I'm still struggling with that one. It seems like there's always something interrupting my day -- illness, doctor appointment, trips, visitors, etc. In a perfect world I would wake up every morning, get the kids fed and dressed, work out, get my errands accomplished, and still be able to have structured activities for Connor and Kaitlynn. Like I said, still struggling with that.

I was talking to my brother Ben the other day and he asked me, "So what exactly do you DO all day now that you're at home?" Hmmm, good question. This is what I came up with.


  • Wake up at the first sign of daylight when Connor comes downstairs ready for his day

  • Fix Connor his snacks/meals and feed him several times a day

  • Feed Kaitlynn a bottle and change her diaper every 3-4 hours

  • Pump 4-5 times every day

  • Hand-wash the bottles 2-3 times a day

  • Work out each morning at Jazzercise (OK, I admit, I'm slacking on this one lately ever since the kids started getting sick; need to get my lazy butt back on track!)

  • Visit the doctor 1-2 times a week (this has been our pattern so far, I'm hoping it doesn't last)

  • Play with Connor (singing, dancing, coloring, football, soccer, etc.)

  • Play with Kaitlynn (talking, cooing, working really hard for a laugh)

  • Wash and fold about 5-10 loads of laundry a week

  • Take Connor to preschool twice a week

  • Grocery shop 1-2 times a week

  • Try to keep the house relatively picked up
  • Take the kids outside most nights to play with friends in the cul-de-sac (when the weather is nice)

  • Prepare a big dinner 2-3 times a week, usually when the older boys are with us (when they're not, we usually feast on cereal or sandwiches)

  • Take the kids for a playdate with friends once a week

  • Keep in touch with friends on blogs and email (I admit I spend too much time on the computer some days)

The funny thing is, looking at that list I realize that I used to do most of that AND keep a full-time job. So it's amazing to me that the days and weeks are going by as quickly as they are.

Gee, what DO I do all day??

6 comments:

  1. Great post. Sounds like hard work but well worth it! I'm glad to hear that you are getting a routine started. I sure wish you were closer so that we could have some play dates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauri, I can somewhat relate, since I don't have a "real" job anymore. I don't even have two little whirlwinds to keep up with and I'm not sure what I DO all day... but, there is ALWAYS more to do than I have time for! Amazing!

    I think our culture rarely gives true credence/value to time spent in "women's work". So, what a mother DOES all day (and believe me, there is PLENTY to do), somehow doesn't seem as valuable as hours clocked at a job. I think we, as a culture, are off base in that. Enjoy the opportunity to be with your children! Value yourself. I don't think you will regret it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can sooo relate to your post Lauri! It is amazing how all these things take up the days and weeks! When Jacob was little, I used to hate the question, so what have you been up to? And all I could think of are the things you listed above which seemed so trivial at the time. However since I've been at home now for 4 years, I have grown to see the true value and meaning to all these things. I really do appreciate all these little things and know that one day I will miss these simple little things with the kids. You are doing an awesome job and I know you will never regret this time you have with your wee ones! I just wish we lived closer to get together for play days! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EXACTLY! And it only gets worse when they're in school (at least in my opinion) and they have after school activities. Here's my list for today (and this was an "easy" day):

    1. Finish laundry started last night (2 loads, of the 9 done per week -- cleaning lady does 2 more for the sheets).
    2. Pack two lunches
    3. Put some form of breakfast in front of 2 children
    4. Take children to school (4.5 miles away)
    5. Go to gym
    6. Go to library to get books about moose (normally Abby would be with me, but this afternoon is taken up -- I don't as a practice do these things related to school without them!)
    7. Go to Michael's to pick up foam paper for Maggie's halloween costume
    8. Fill up gas tank
    9. Go to Benjamin Moore to pick up paint chips
    10. Home for a bath
    11. Drink some coffee
    12. Eat some lunch
    13. Waste some time on computer (now)

    NEXT:
    14. Go with Tom for carpool to pick up girls
    15. Go to high school open house
    16. Come home and either figure out something to make for dinner OR order in
    17. Assist with homework
    18. Assist with violin practice
    19. Collapse

    And we're skipping ballet class today.......

    Hee Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! That seems like a MUCH harder day than most days at the old job...seriously! Hope all is going well. - Neal

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post. I always wondered what the answer to that question was before I had a baby. In fact, I remember asking Katherine that very question. Not because I thought she wasn't doing anything, but because I was curious about what the days were like. And now I know. They're hard! Heck, I even took it easy and the days were still hard. I'm like everybody else - I think you're doing a wonderful job. You'll get yourself a little routine in no time, and then you'll suddenly realize one day that you're in a groove.

    ReplyDelete