Thursday, January 13, 2011

Spiky Hair

I try to make an attempt most mornings to comb Connor's hair. Connor began calling this "handsome hair" a while back and it stuck. Lately, though, Connor started asking me to stop doing handsome hair and instead make his hair spiky. I'm not sure where this came from, but everytime I would try to spike his hair it would always fall flat within minutes. So when it was time to take him for a haircut recently, Connor declared right away that he wanted a "spiky haircut".

We went to our favorite kids' haircut place and told the stylist what Connor wanted. She cut his hair and towards the end Connor was staring in the mirror at himself. He had a bit of a panicked look on his face, and he said to me in a quiet voice, "But Mom, it's not spiky." She reassured him that she hadn't started the spikes yet, but they were coming!



So here he is, Connor with his spiky hair. Do you think it's spiky enough?? The product that was put in his hair was designed to hold spikes and it made his hair feel so stiff and hard (more on that in a minute).



While Connor had his hair spiked, Kaitlynn decided she would tidy up the place a bit.




And then I had to strap her into a nearby chair so I could capture the spiking in action.



And let me just say, this is the only time you'll see Kaitlynn in a haircut chair because she will NOT be getting that sweet hair of hers cut until she is old enough to overrule my say-so. (Which is probably sooner than I'm ready for. Ha!)



When it was all over, both kids were given suckers to enjoy. It was Kaitlynn's first experience with a sucker. I may have to get a bag of these to keep her still at home, ha!



Back to the spiky hair.... Connor's hair was so stiff and hard with his spikes that it started to bother him during rest time. When I came upstairs after rest time, Connor's hair had undergone a complete transformation:



He told me that the hard spikes were bothering him so he got his hair wet and combed it all down. I promised him that the next time we spiked his hair, we would use less of the "spiky sauce" so that his hair wouldn't get so hard. So here was the end result when he got ready for school this morning:



Who knew that a 4-year-old boy could be so particular about his hair?? :-)

6 comments:

  1. Oh my, that Connor is quite a boy! Tell him that MeMe thinks he is very handsome with either hairstyle (handsome or spiky)! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- that is quite the spike he got at the hair salon. I could see how those sharp edges would be bothersome during rest time! He's gotta take some matters into his own hands! LOL!

    I love this post. Reminds me of my boys and how they love to have a spike! And they ask me all day long if their spike is still standing! :)

    I love the spike before school. He looks happy with it and that's all that matters, right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the spike hairdo! LOL! Zack always had a very particular idea about how he wanted his hair. Once, he had a permed mullet. LOL! Alex needs access to a barber shop like that one! Love all the cars, etc.

    So glad Kaitlynn's Kimono arrived safe and sound. Hope it fits! One can never tell with the knitting projects... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! It's funny how they can be so particular so early on. Jackson used to like to make his hair "pretty" but now it seems to be too much of an inconvenience to let me put gel in it. Plus he still rubs his head so it only lasts a few minutes. Maybe I need to get some of that super spiky stuff! :-)

    We are potty training today. So far one accident and one success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Lauri! That is hilarious and so cute! I LOVE Connor's spiky hair!!!!! You know I think he is a perfect angel, so the spiky hair gives him a bit of an edge! Ha! I can't wait to show it to Benjamin!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny that the spikes were "too hard". Don't you love those little cars they sit in. I am looking forward to all the cute random stuff kids say:)

    ReplyDelete