Friday, April 9, 2010

Bun-shed

Last night I was making a double-layer cake for one of Jeff's coworkers who was celebrating a birthday. (Normally Jeff would've made it but he's in his busy season right now.) I decided to use two different flavors of icing, vanilla for the middle layer and chocolate on the top and sides. Connor decided that this was the perfect opportunity for us to do another cooking show, so he was my happy little assistant throughout the process.

As I carefully applied the chocolate icing to the sides of the cake, I accidentally scraped some of the vanilla icing from the middle, leaving a marbled black/white color on the side of the cake. I said, "Oops! Bummer, I just mixed the colors."

To which Connor immediately replied, "Shed!"

Um, yeah, in case you don't get that, I'm pretty sure he was saying his version of the sh- word.

I was stunned and not sure how to react. I'm fairly certain he didn't learn that word from anyone in our family (not that choice words don't slip out every now and then, mind you) and I'm usually careful about making sure adult TV shows aren't on while he's around.

So I asked Connor, "What did you just say?"
"Shed," he said, looking a bit guilty.
"Where did you learn that word?" I asked.
"Nowhere."
"Who did you learn that word from?" I probed further.
"No one," he replied without hesitation.

So not only is my son now a bonified potty mouth but he's also a sneaky little conspirator clearly covering up the truth!



I tried not to make a big deal out of the situation because that would've probably made him want to use that word more often, so I just said, "Connor, that is not a nice word. Let's not say that word again, OK?"

Later that evening, I overheard Connor saying "shed" in various situations. As soon as he would say it, he would look over at me with a guilty-as-sin look on his face, like he was wondering what I would do or say. I was trying to ignore him so as not to make a big deal about it, when suddenly I heard him exclaim, "Bun-shed!"

Yeah, that's right. His 4-letter S word was now the 8-letter BS word.

I again asked Connor, "What did you just say?"
He immediately (and guiltily, I might add) replied, "Nothing."
"Connor, what did you say? Tell me the truth."
"Nothing. I mean, bunny, I said bunny rabbit. Hop hop."

That was it. Now he was LYING about it! Who was this kid?? I was fed up so I told him he was going straight to time out for using naughty words and for not telling me the truth about it. He was NOT happy.

Late last night, I was telling Jeff the story about Connor's bad words and guilty behavior. His response?

"So let me get this straight," he began. "You put Connor in time out for saying...bun-shed?"

Okay, so I might have overreacted a bit...

3 comments:

  1. Oh girl, that is hilarous!! I was very curious when I say the title of your post, now I get it! At least he didn't say the real word but the fact that he was close...oh kids these days! Jacob has said something like that in the past and I was dying on the inside but I just said "we don't say that" and moved on. I think b/c I didn't make a big deal about it, he didn't feel the need to keep saying it to go against me. Lord knows that's how they work! :)
    Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connor!!!! That is a funny story. Jackson is really starting to repeat things so we have to be very careful what we say now. I'm not looking forward to the days when he starts saying "bad words." But they all do it and you just have to do your best to help them understand it's not okay. I'm sure with big brothers around he might pick up on a few not so nice words. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, girl. I don't even want to think about the day. Bad words. Lying to cover it up. Having to dish out punishment. Ay yay yay. It sounds like you did a good job to me. Hopefully he won't say "bun-shed" anymore!

    ReplyDelete