Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pillow Pet

Lately Connor has been on a Sprout TV kick. Sprout is a channel that plays short programs for kids and for some reason Connor has really gotten into it. I began to notice the more we watched Sprout that they play the same TV commercials over and over. There's one for a debt reduction company, a product called "Your Baby Can Read", and several others. I knew we were watching too much Sprout when Connor recently asked me what was D-E-B-T, and then later if I was going to get "Your Baby Can Read" for our baby Kaitlynn so that she could learn how to read. Hmmm.

Another commercial that has begun to play frequently on Sprout is for Pillow Pets. These are little soft pillows for kids that are shaped like animals. They have a little strap that folds the pillow in half, forming the animal shape. We've seen this commercial so many times that Connor will sing right along with the little jingle..."It's a pillow, it's a pet...it's a Pillow Pet!" Yikes. Here's the actual commercial on YouTube.

The other day we were at the mall and Connor noticed a kiosk that was selling none other than Pillow Pets! He was super excited and wanted me to buy him one. I told him, "Well, you have a birthday coming up so maybe you could ask for a Pillow Pet for your birthday."

A short while later, we were sitting down having a snack when Connor began talking about how he really wanted a Pillow Pet. "Why do you like the Pillow Pets?" I asked him.

"Because you simply undo the strap and it pops open into a full-size pillow," he replied, almost without thinking.

(Those are the exact words from the commercial, by the way.)

Two days later, Connor was again talking about these Pillow Pets. He decided that he really wanted the ladybug one. I'm still not sure where that came from. As we were driving home from school, Connor was really trying to convince me that he needed one of these pillows. "You know, Mom," he said, "Pillow Pets are good for playtime, bedtime,...anytime!"

(Again, the exact words from the commercial.)

And finally, the next day, Connor sees me on the computer and comes up to me asking, "Hey Mom, can we go to www dot pillow pets dot com to see the full selection of Pillow Pets?"

Man, these advertisers sure know how to do their jobs!

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious. Seriously. I think he deserves a Pillow Pet just for being able to recite the commercial verbatim. There have been days when I thought Connor would be a cooking show host. Other days, an NFL player. Others, a professional dancer. Today, salesman. I mean, he's got his sales tactic down pat! Who could resist the charm? Seriously.

    And might I just take a moment to tell you what a wonderful storyteller you are? I love reading your posts because you always narrate them so well. You are talented, my friend. But then, you always have been. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I'd say he has got that down to a "t"! I see a pillow pet in his near future! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, that's funny. I can still remember some commercials from my childhood. I can still sing the phone number to the Dallas Times Herald Classified (748-1414)commercial! I am thinking the Pillow Pet is a must have birthday present just so that you can see the pure joy on his face when he sees it. And I'm going to need to you post a pic of him with his pillow pet! He is such a charmer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you sure you didn't just make that up? That is sooo funny. I was reading it earlier on my phone while I was getting my oil changed and just started laughing out loud! And I just read it to Jim and we both were laughing! That is awesome! Those marketers sure know what they are doing, don't they?!?! haha. I sure hope that is on your list for his birthday and I can't wait to see his sweet little face light up when he gets his very own, Pillow Pet...good for playtime, bedtime, anytime! OMG, so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's one of the funniest things I've read in a long time! Hilarious. Pillow Pets. Who knew? Connor is a walking talking commerical! (I was like that when I was a kid!) I sure hope we see those in the mall on one of our play dates so that I can hear him talk about them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my....you DO have the child you deserve! Connor's MOM could recite ALL the commercials and would only concentrate on the TV during the commercial break!
    Isn't it too funny that Connor AND Makenna are talking about pillow pets???? Janie (MOM) (MeMe)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't even know you but found your blog because I was searching for the pillow pets on line. LOL I just read your post to my husband and we laughed hysterically...we know exactly what you are talking about and are getting a pillow pet for both our daughter and niece for Christmas! too funny.

    ReplyDelete