Monday, September 14, 2009

What Happened to my Newborn?

Kaitlynn turned 3 months old today. Seriously, how does the time fly by so fast? We used to be out running errands and strangers would see Kaitlynn and comment on how tiny she was. Now they see her and exclaim how plump she is. Yes, we produce big babies around here, although I prefer to think of it as just healthy. ;-)

Here are her 3-month updates:
  • She recently discovered her hands. She will rub her eyes when she's tired, suck on her hands when she's hungry (or when she wants her paci), and she tries SO hard to reach out and touch her little baby toys. It won't be long.
  • She graduated from the pack-n-play crib in our living room to her crib in her bedroom upstairs. I figured it was the next step towards a full night's sleep. She does seem to sleep better up there when it's quiet and dark, but we're not quite up to a full night's sleep yet.
  • She is really trying to roll over. It's SO funny because as she tries to build up the momentum to roll onto her side, she makes these really loud noises of exersion and frustration. It's not a cry but closer to a yell. It reminds me of the noises Jeff makes when he's lifting weights and going for those last few difficult reps.
  • Several times Kaitlynn has blessed us with her laughter. It's not a full blown laugh yet, but she will tilt up her chin, wrinkle her nose, smile really big, and then give us that sweet little chuckle that just melts me every time.
  • She seems to be showing some early signs of teething. She is slobbering quite a bit and even broke out with a little rash on her cheeks recently, exactly the same as Connor did when he was teething.

I'm 3 months old today!

And here's Connor at 3 months. Again, they look like twins!!

I love my new crib.

I sleep so soundly.

Hello! My belly button is finally starting to shrink.Passed out on the couch.

Raise your hand if you like butterflies. My mommy cracks me up!
I can sometimes be very serious.
And when I don't get my way, I know how to pout.
What's that you say? There's a milk shortage??? Say it ain't so! Phew! Mommy was only teasing me! I LOVE my milk!
I love posting all the pictures on here showing how similar she and Connor look as infants. But I thought I would this time also mention some of the ways they are different.
  • Sleeping: Connor was sleeping a solid 8 hours at 3 months; Kaitlynn can sleep 8 hours (she's done it once or twice) but she usually only goes in 6 hour stretches. Lately she has been very consistent about waking up at 2:30 a.m. like clockwork no matter what time she goes to bed (usually by 8 p.m.) and then she's up again between 7 and 8 a.m.
  • Pooping: Connor had no trouble in this area, usually pooping several times a day. Kaitlynn on the other hand likes to save her "prizes" for every 2-4 days. And then watch out when it comes, because it'll go out the front, back, and both sides of her diaper if I don't clean her right away. It usually takes about 15 wipes to get it all, too.
  • Toots: Yes, my babies both are good at passing gas. Connor's little toots never smelled bad, probably because his system was so efficient at moving everything through. But Kaitlynn, oh my. Her toots could clear a room. I'm not kidding; they are smellier than anything produced by even us adults. And it's embarrassing because there's no way a stranger believes that smell came from little ole' her. So that leaves them looking strangely at me.
  • Temperament: As an infant, Connor was completely content as long as he got his milk (and lots of it). He would sit and observe his surroundings for hours and be perfectly happy. Kaitlynn is a little more high maintenance in this area. She is perfectly content for about 20 minutes, and then she wants to do something different. She loves to be walked around, but her favorite thing of all is when you get close to her face and talk to her. She'll "talk" right back, usually with lots of coos and gurgles.
  • Size: Connor was a BIG baby. Lots of rolls, dimples, and chunkiness. Kaitlynn is also big, just not quite so. She's our "petite" princess.

Many people continue to ask how Connor is adjusting to having Kaitlynn around. Simply put, he adores her. He is constantly, and I mean constantly kissing her. He always checks on her and also tells me all the time to make sure I am making enough milk for her! I have to remind him sometimes to be gentle with her, but overall he is so sweet and loving towards her.

Connor always wants me to take his picture with his baby sister.


He loves to lie next to her on the couch.

Another brother and sister pic.

He also tries to comfort her when she cries.

6 comments:

  1. Such sweet pictures and post....I can't believe that Kaitlynn is growing up so fast! Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beauty (even if she looks like her brother, who is handsome!). Ya'll look great -- someday we'll make it that way and I'll get to see both of them in person.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post. She is really starting to look like a little girly girl with her sweet smiles and little dresses! I hope she will be sleeping through the night consistently for you soon. I love how much Connor loves his little sister. So, so, so sweet! And it's hilarious that he tells you to make sure you are making enough milk for Kaitlynn. He knows what's important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the updates! Kaitlynn is getting so big and sooo darn cute! I just love her little face and her sweet smile! She is a cutie! And I love all the "love" she gets from big brother Connor. He is so sweet to her. It's hard to believe the first 3 months are behind you already! I hope things are getting easier for you and that you found a good routine that works! Give Connor and Kaitlynn some kisses for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those smiles are PRICELESS! Doesn't that just light your soul? It is amazing how much she and Conner look alike! I love the details you share of how much they are alike... and, their diffences. It is wonderful that you appreciate their similarities and their individuality!

    And, I laugh about the tooties! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite posts to date! I LOVE the "serious face." Cracks me up! And I love the smile she's giving her mommy because she loves her milk. Too cute! Glad to hear that Connor is such a loving big brother who looks out for his little sister - making sure she's got her milk and all. He seems so sweet with her in those photos. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete