Saturday, September 19, 2009

Kaitlynn's First Sick

As Connor says, Kaitlynn had "her first sick" this week. I noticed she was eating poorly on Wednesday, and then on Thursday morning she was up several times with a bad cough and a bad runny nose. I took her in to see the doctor, and she was diagnosed as a classic case of BWAC (baby with a cold -- gotta love Dr. Pope!) Later that evening, she came down with a low-grade fever. And that same night, I started feeling achy with a sore throat myself. Yep, Mommy was sick too.

One thing that really surprised me is how happy Kaitlynn seemed even when she was struggling to breathe with her snotty nose. I had already prepared myself to be up all night with her on Thursday night, but she completely shocked me by sleeping soundly from 8:00 pm until 6:15 am the next morning! That's by far the longest stretch of sleep she's ever had. (The next night she was back to her 6-hour stretches!)

Despite her happy self, there was one point on Friday night which totally caught me off-guard. After bathtime with Connor, Kaitlynn had an apparent meltdown. She started crying and screaming louder than I've ever experienced, and she wouldn't stop no matter what I did. I don't know if it was her illness, a gassy tummy, or what. Jeff was away at a water polo game, so I was trying to keep Connor occupied with TV while I tended to Kaitlynn in her frenzied state. I walked with her, tried to feed her, gave her the paci, laid her down, even gave her another bath. Nothing would work! She was screaming so terribly that I actually wondered if she had some kind of injury that I couldn't see. I just couldn't understand what the cause was. After an hour or so, she finally started to calm down from pure exhaustion and then passed out in her crib. Phew! I would LOVE to hear any suggestions from you Mommies out there -- what should/could I have done to calm her down??

For now, Kaitlynn and Mommy seem to be on the mend. And we're thankful that the "first sick" wasn't too bad!

Happy girl, even when she's sick!

Little video showing how Kaitlynn is starting to roll on her side.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I just want to kiss those sweet cheeks. She looks so pretty in her sweet dress and PINK bow! Can't wait to meet her soon... I hope you are all feeling better very soon.

    And, I have no advice. Jackson used to have those crying fits until I thought I would lose my mind. I seriously would have to have "self talk" to keep myself from losing complete control! Hence, the reason I'm terrified to have a newborn again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always said that babies should be followed out of the uterus with an instruction manual instead of a placenta... one that was unique to them including every possible case scenario and a trouble-shooting diagram! But, no such luck! Sounds like you managed just fine! I stick to the "trust your instincts" and, yes, take time outs for "self talk" when necessary philosophy. Hang in there! She is doing great!! And, I LOVE the dress! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I dread the day of the "first sick." Sounds like you did a great job - I think I'll call you for advice when I face this for the first time. I know it's so frustrating to not be able to console them.

    I can't wait to hug that precious bundle of joy in less than two weeks!! Yea!

    ReplyDelete