Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Rest of the Story...

I wrote about Kaitlynn's first illness (her "first sick") in my last post, but apparently the story wasn't quite finished yet. She definitely seemed on the mend on Saturday, but then Saturday night her fever returned and stuck around. Sunday night was the worst night we've had to date, because she was up constantly and couldn't be consoled. She cried and screamed unless I held her, and even then she seemed like she was in misery. By the time Monday morning rolled around, neither Kaitlynn nor I had gotten any sleep. I just assumed she was miserable from her stuffy/runny nose.

First thing Monday morning, Kaitlynn was crying and screaming, and no matter what I did she wouldn't stop. She was running fever and seemed to be in pain. At one point, I just couldn't take her crying anymore and I felt so helpless since nothing I did was working. So I strapped her into her carseat, placed the carseat in my bedroom, shut the door, and had to just let her cry while I was tending to Connor. She cried herself to sleep out of pure exhaustion after about 15 minutes. It just broke my heart! I finally called the doctor just to ask for advice but they really wanted to see her.

On top of her cold, she was diagnosed with ear infections in both ears. Yuck! As much as I hated to hear that, I was just so relieved that there was an explanation for her fussy behavior. So now she is on antiobiotics, ear numbing medicine, and baby Tylenol. And boy, what a difference. She woke up every 4 hours like clockwork last night as her medicine wore off, but I'm hopeful that the antibiotics will kick in soon and she'll be good as new. At least until the next sick.

3 comments:

  1. Bless all of your hearts!!! Glad that is past!! Hopefully, not to return anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you have found out what was wrong. I always think when there is unexplained behavior or bad crying it's either their teeth or their ears. Both of which you can't determine unless you go to the doctor, which stinks! So sorry to hear this but glad she is on her way to feeling better! Hang in there girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no. I hope she feels better very soon. Poor baby! Those ear infections can be brutal. We had plenty of those last year! I'm hoping we do not repeat that this year.

    ReplyDelete