Friday, August 31, 2012

Flag Football

As passionate as Connor is about football, it was only fitting that he start playing at some point! Connor started fall flag football this month and he is having so much fun. They began practicing early this month and Connor just loves it. His team is called the Fiest (pronounced "feast") Saints and their uniforms will be just like the New Orleans Saints. They've been practicing 3-4 times per week and have even played a few scrimmage games so far. Connor began playing defense (defensive end) as well as offense (right tackle), and recently he was named as the starting center (the ball hiker as he calls it, ha!). He is learning so much about the game.

As much as Connor is loving football, I think Jeff may actually be enjoying it even more. He has taken on a lead role in the coaching staff of Connor's team and has been put in charge of the offense. He has even drawn up a couple of new plays in his newly produced team playbook, ha! I knew he was hard core when a recently scheduled business trip threatened to interfere with one of Connor's games as well as a Texans home game, and Jeff was trying to reschedule the trip to make sure he didn't miss Connor's game (with no mention of missing the Texans game?!). Too funny!

As hot as it is outside during the practices and games, I have been surprised at how much I've enjoyed watching the kids play. For years I have dreaded this season of life -- hauling kids to/from all their activities -- so it's been a pleasant discovery to realize how fun it actually is. I am really enjoying the involvement with new parents and kids in our community, as well as witnessing the joy of the kids at their events. I've also been impressed with the discipline of football as a sport and how much character it builds for these young boys. I definitely need practice becoming a football Mom, but I'm loving it so far!

The official season for the Fiest Saints begins next week and I'm sure I'll be posting ALL about it! In the meantime, here are some pics from the practices and scrimmages so far.

Coach Hooper throws a pass to Connor in the first practice.

What does Kaitlynn do at the practices and games? Play with the other players' sisters!

Coach Jeff and Connor at practice.

Connor missed a week of practice while we were in FL but that didn't stop him from doing some drills with Dad at Grandpa's house. Check out his fierce look!

Don't let Dad get the flag!

Here's Connor going against his teammate Noah -- they are the only ones from the same elementary school.

Kaitlynn at practice.
Connor in his official practice gear after a scrimmage. (My camera settings were screwed up so the color is weird!)

Kaitlynn decided to join in the fierce football stance. I thought it was funny that they are in almost the exact same pose.

Cute siblings on a hot summer evening.

2 comments:

  1. I thought about y'all as football games were getting started on TV... but, you are in a much better season of football... one that you are already coming to love. ;) Enjoy it. The season is short. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how excited he looks in all of the pictures. And I especially love how much Jeff is enjoying being the coach. I cannot imagine a better sport for Connor. I hope the team has a great season. And Kaitlynn...just precious. :-)

    ReplyDelete