Thursday, November 18, 2010

Adoration

I recently posted some pictures showing how Connor had fallen asleep in his carseat with a protective hand draped across his baby sister's lap.




His adoration for Kaitlynn seems to become more evident with each new day. And the feeling is clearly mutual. It just melts me.

One of their new things is to hold hands as they walk together. If I try to join in and hold Kaitlynn's other hand, she literally slaps my hand away with a grunt. And every single time they walk in together, someone always stops me to say how precious they are and how much they adore each other. (And that's why I can't stop taking pictures of them doing this.)







Connor has never been a truly affectionate child except with his Mommy. (No complaints here!) He clearly loves his entire family, but he isn't prone to hugging or kissing them unless they ask (demand is more like it, ha!). I, on the other hand, can get affection from him easily. It's one of the perks of being a mother to a young son, and believe me, I'm soaking it in now while I can.

But ever since Kaitlynn came into our lives, I have noticed that his affections for her rival those for his Mom. It's like there's just something inside a big brother that instinctively kicks in and wants to protect and love on his little sister. He hugs her, kisses her, holds her hand, wraps his arms around her, lies down next to her, and speaks affectionately towards her all the time. And the older they get, the more of this behavior I continue to witness.

The other day I was asking Connor why he loved to give his Mom and his sister so many hugs and kisses. "Because you're my girls," he replied without hesitation. "I love my girls."

On another occasion a few weeks ago, Connor was asking me some questions about marriage. In the past I have explained to him that he'll grow up one day and meet someone that he wants to marry and start a family with. This idea really stuck with him and he seemed confused about why he would ever leave our family, and more importantly, his sister. Many times since then, he has told me that he really wants to marry Kaitlynn, no one else. I told him, "You can't marry your sister, silly! She's already in your family and you're supposed to marry someone that isn't in your family."

His response: "Well I really want to marry my sister because she's so cute. And she has beautiful eyes, too."

Yes, he definitely adores his sister.




And I adore them. With all my heart.

6 comments:

  1. Lauri - that is just too sweet. I love how much he loves you and Kaitlynn and how he calls you guys his "girls." So So So sweet. Melts my heart. Through his relationship with you and Kaitlynn he is learning how to treat girls when he is older. Looks like he is already a gentleman!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean, really, could they be any cuter!?!? That Connor is such a sweet, sweet boy. I have always thought that about him. Him saying you and Kaitlynn are "his girls" tugs at the heart, doesn't it! He is going to make a great husband one day.

    And too funny that Kaitlynn only wanted to hold hands with her brother. I love it! These are the kinds of things that can make a hard day, well, a little easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredibly sweet. sweet. sweet. That kind of love makes life worth living!! They are simply precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Alex will be an adoring big brother when the baby comes along. He could certainly take some lessons from Connor - he has got it down. When I read this post, I thought about what a sweet memory this is going to be to continue to look back on throughout life as they get older. So glad you shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Lauri, they are precious! Connor is such a sweet, sweet boy, and the love he shows for his baby sister couldn't be any cuter! I only hope that my boys show 1/2 the love to Lily that Connor shows Kaitlynn! You will also have all of this documented when Connor is too protective of Kaitlynn, and she is furious with him (like when she's 16 and dating...ha). So, you can always whip out these pictures and comments, and remind them how much they loved each other...once upon a time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post. You are raising a loving, and respectful little boy.

    ReplyDelete