Friday, October 22, 2010

Observations from a Getaway

Early this year Jeff and I booked a week-long trip to The Bahamas in November to celebrate our 5th anniversary. When Jeff changed jobs, we knew we'd have to postpone our beach vacation until he was a little more settled in his new company. But we still wanted to get away to celebrate, so the kids went to stay with MeMe and Grand Daddy while I joined Jeff on a business trip in New York City to have a little getaway.

Here are just a few initial observations from our getaway...

Jeff warned me that he would be very busy working during our trip except for some downtime on the weekend. He was worried I would be bored and lonely by myself in the hotel room. Hmmm, let me see...alone time, in a nice NYC hotel room, alone, without kids, with access to spa and room service, alone, a luxurious hotel bed, me-time to relax and watch TV or read a book, ALONE. Nope, doesn't sound bad to me at ALL. :-)

Kaitlynn is 16 months old and I've never been away from her for more than about 6 hours. So I guess I'm jumping in with both feet because when I see the kids again we will have been apart for 6 days. From 6 hours to 6 days...probably not my most well thought-out plan.

Yesterday after I took the kids to meet MeMe and Grand Daddy, I came home and had an entire evening/night by myself. It was heavenly! I ate popcorn for dinner, caught up on DVR shows, tried on my new NYC clothes, took an early bath, and started a new book. I kept catching myself turning down the TV volume for fear of waking up a kid, and I even got up this morning and realized I had turned on the baby monitor before I went to sleep. Old habits die hard, I guess.

I am officially old. When I fly I now have to wear these anti-nausea wristbands (Thanks, Amanda!) to prevent me from getting sick. I thought I would look so hip in my new NYC clothes but my 1980's Flashdance wristbands most likely took me from "hip" to "dip". But I will say, at least I was a dip without kids. Totally different flying experience when you don't have to keep two youngsters entertained. Oh, and the wristbands only help so much. I still have to reach for the barf bags every time I fly now.

When I called to check on the kids this morning, Connor was quite the chatterbox. He went on and on. At one point he asked to talk to his Dad. I told him Dad wasn't with me but I was on my way to New York to see him. He said to me, "Can you text Dad and tell him to call me?" Kids these days!

Finally, I made it to NYC and I was still nauseous from the flight. I checked into the hotel, dropped off my bag, and immediately went back outside to find the nearest McDonalds. Nothing like a yummy fountain Coke to settle my stomach. It was $2.27 for a large, over twice as much as it costs at home. But worth every single penny!

More to come!

6 comments:

  1. it's really hard to leave your kiddos, no? i remember going to pick mine up after we'd moved to holland -- they'd been with my parents for 3+ weeks -- maggie was jumping up and down at the airport and abby just kept touching my face (at 18 months), like she was trying to make sure it was really me.....

    enjoy your time off, feel NO GUILT, and have a wonderful week with jeff......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl, sounds like Heaven to me. Can't wait to hear all about your trip. Enjoy every kid-free moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl, what a fun getaway you are having! Enjoy your "you" time and I can't wait to see pictures of your getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see pics as well. My hubby gets sick on airplanes as well. Hope your flight home is better........

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had to invest in a new pair of wristbands for the flight back to Virginia. Worked like a charm - I hope the power doesn't wear off. Sorry yours seem to only work so/so.

    I hope you have a WONDERFUL time in NYC! Everything you described sounds heavenly to me. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I need to try some of those wristbands!! I do so hate motion sickness!! Sounds like you will be enjoying some nice time to yourself... we all need some of that!! Carpe diem!

    ReplyDelete