Sunday, May 23, 2010

Spring Zoo Trip

A couple weeks ago I made an impromptu visit to the Houston Zoo with Connor and Kaitlynn. I had been wanting to go before it got too hot so we loaded up on a Monday morning when the forecast called for a cloudy and windy day. It was still a bit warm for my taste but it was a nice outing for the kids.

On the way to the zoo, I asked Connor which animal he wanted to see first. I assumed he would say the elephants or the giraffes. Nope. He replied without hesitating, "I want to see Zoboomafoo." Upon hearing this, I vaguely recalled this character from a program on Sprout TV. But I wasn't sure exactly what type of animal he was.

"Oh, cool!" I said to Connor. "What kind of animal is Zoboomafoo? Is he some kind of monkey?"

"No, Mom," Connor replied. "He's a leaping lemur!"

So here's Connor in front of the lemur cage. He was mesmerized and we had to go back to see "Zoboo" three times before we left the zoo. And Connor STILL cried to leave because he wanted to see him again. That's pretty much all he cared to see/do at the zoo. But check out that smile. It was definitely worth it.



After we'd been at the zoo about an hour, I got a phone call from Jeff asking where we were in the zoo. Turns out he had taken a long lunch to surprise us and meet us! The kiddos were super excited (OK, me too).



Here's Jeff and Connor checking out one of the elephants. A new baby elephant was born at the zoo this spring but she wasn't on display yet.




Kaitlynn quickly gave up her stroller to be carried by her Daddy.



Before we left the zoo, we rode the train around Hermann Park. It was a fun spring outing!

4 comments:

  1. What a fun outing - even if all Connor cared to see was the leaping lemur. Ha! I'm so impressed with his recall of things he sees/learns about on TV. He is one smart cookie, although I would not expect anything less knowing his parents. And what a treat that Jeff got to get away for a long lunch to join you. Those are the best kind of surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to the zoo a while back with a playgroup - didn't seem as big as zoos were when I was a kid!! How cute Connor could remember what he saw on tv.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that he got to see the leaping lemur and his smile makes it all worth it, doesn't it! I'm sure it will make his cartoon seem more real now! :)

    What a fun outing and super fun that Jeff surprised you guys out there! What a treat! I love the picture of the 4 of you guys. Great smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so wanting to go to the zoo but I know once school is out it's going to be too hot! I'm so glad you guys had a nice time and the last picture of you guys as a family is a really good one!

    ReplyDelete