Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Silly 4-year-old

Connor is really proud of being 4 now. He told me this on his birthday: "You know, Mom, 4-year-olds help more around the house. So if you have a job for me to do, just tell me and I will do it." So I asked him to help me take out our recycled trash. "I'm happy to!" he replied. In our garage, we have 1 recycle bucket for paper trash and another for plastics. I showed him which items went into each bucket, and then I assigned him the task of putting all of the water bottles into the plastic bin. He was happy with his job until he accidentally dropped one of the bottles into the paper bin. "Oops, I put that one in the wrong bucket," he said. And then he scolded himself, "Silly 4-year-old!" He's taking this turning 4 stuff very seriously.



Today we had Connor's 4-year checkup at the doctor. He weighed in at 43 pounds (95th percentile) and is 42.5 inches tall (95th percentile). He's a big boy! He also had to pee in a cup which we both got a good laugh from. And he was supposed to have his vision tested but he wasn't in the mood to cooperate (surprise, surprise). The biggest ordeal of the day was, of course, the shots! Despite lots of discussion and preparation beforehand, they were still very traumatic for Connor. Poor guy! He was convinced for a while there that he couldn't walk because his legs hurt too badly, but thankfully we remembered to bring his Bible and a sucker (at his request, go figure) to cheer him up.

We finally got to celebrate together as a family when the older boys came over tonight. When I asked Connor what kind of cake he wanted me to make for his birthday, he replied that he wanted a "sprinkle doughnut cake." Sprinkle doughnuts are one of his favorite things these days. So this is what we came up with.



This has been our week so far: a weekend birthday party at Pump It Up, Sunday church with his birthday ribbon, his birthday dinner on Monday at CiCi's Pizza (his fave place), birthday doughnuts with his classmates on Tuesday, and a birthday celebration today at home with his family. No offense, but I'm ready to be done with this particular birthday! Connor has definitely learned to milk it for everything it's worth.

5 comments:

  1. Way to go, Conner for seizing every opportunity to CELEBRATE his birthday! LOL. I love his new four year old work ethic. LOL. Kids are amazing. Lauri, I LOVE the doughnut cake! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Connor has had a great 4th birthday. You did a good job on the cake - recreating his request. He is such a big boy - definitely a potential basketball or football player. So glad you got to celebrate with him so many times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love the cake! Great job on that! Glad you have had fun celebrating your sweet boy. But I'm sure you are glad the festivities are coming to an end.

    He's so proud to be 4, I love it! I remember at Jacob's 4 year well check, his doctor was telling me that this is a age where they LOVE to help with things. I remember her specifically using the example of having him help put away his laundry, unload the dishwasher etc. Jacob still loves to help (most of the time) if I make it fun and not like a chore! Sounds like Connor is right on track to being mommmy's little helper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna need my boy to hurry up and be 4 - so I can have some help around the house!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who would've thought that turning four was the secret trick to getting some help?! I think you should remind him of this whenever he decides one day that he'd rather be playing than doing the chore you're asking him to do. =)

    ReplyDelete