Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bribes for Smiles

This past Sunday was picture day at the Courtright house. Each November (we do it in November to avoid the holiday rush) all of us head to Portrait Innovations for our annual family photo session. It is so important to me to get a nice family picture every year, not only for our holiday newsletter but also just to document our growing family.

Every parent knows how stressful these photo sessions can be, especially with kids. This year we had 2 teenagers, a toddler, and a baby. And by far, the hardest part is the teenagers. Why do teenage boys HATE getting their picture taken so much? Each year their resistance gets stronger and stronger, so this year I racked my brain to figure out how to get them to be a little more, um, cooperative.

And the answer? Cold. Hard. Cash.

Yep, that's right. I am actually admitting that I bribed the older boys with money, just for a genuine smile in our family photos. How sad is that?

So, I bet you're wondering if it worked. Well, I can't show you our official new photo yet because I'm trying to save them for our Christmas newsletter. But here's a sneak peak you might enjoy.






And the older boys weren't the only ones that required a bribe. Tucked away in my back pocket was the perfect little trick to get Connor to cooperate, too. His bribe? A sucker. Worked like a charm.




Now, if only I could figure out what it would take to get this little one to smile.

7 comments:

  1. The bribes worked like a charm! What great smiles for all of them! The older two are looking mighty handsome and the younger two are just as adorbale as ever! I can't WAIT to see the family photo! I know how stressful it can be to get some decent smiles but I'm sure to get 4 kids to cooperate takes it to a whole new level! :) Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pics! I'd say that the bribes worked just like you had hoped. I can't wait to see the big reveal in the annual newsletter. I look forward to that newsletter every Christmas. It's one of the highlights for me.

    If you find a trick for Kaitlynn, let me know. We're going back for round two with Alex on December 5. Hopefully we get more than with the first round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those all turned out SO great. I'm so impressed! Like Amanda, I look forward to the Christmas newsletter every year! Can't wait to see the final product!!! Kaitlynn looks so pretty with her sweet little pink bow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture of Connor couldn't possibly be an cuter! The older boys look great too - very handsome! You obviously did something that worked! I'll have to remember this when my boys are older! Kaitlynn looks so sweet and pretty. As always....just love the bow! I can't wait to see the family picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I LOVE this template! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pictures! I think that Kaitlynn was just needing her MeMe for a pretty smile from her! Ha! Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  7. It appears the bribes worked VERY well!! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete