Friday, February 10, 2012

Most Spirited Lil' Texans Fan!

Anyone who has ever met Connor knows he is a Houston Texans fanatic. He demonstrates his passion in so many unique ways that I've decided I need a separate post to list them all. Last month, the Houston Texans held a contest on Facebook for the most spirited little Texans fan. Of course, I immediately thought of Connor. We have been working on Connor's Texans bedroom for quite some time, and I had just taken some pictures of him showing off his updated room. So I submitted Connor's picture to the contest along with a description of how passionate he is in his love for the Texans.

This is the photo I submitted to the Texans contest for most spirited little Texans fan.

A week later, I was ECSTATIC to get a phone call telling me that Connor had been chosen as the winner of the contest!! His picture was posted on the Houston Texans' Facebook page and he received thousands of Likes and Comments about what a cool little fan he is!

The prize for winning the contest was none other than a party with TORO (Texans mascot) and the Houston Texans cheerleaders in Connor's classroom at school! WOW!! The Texans organization contacted Connor's elementary school and arranged the party with the school administrators. The principal of the school was just as excited as we were about the party, and they rolled out the red carpet in support of Connor and his party. They declared yesterday, Feb. 9, as Texans Spirit Day to let the staff and 1000+ kids in the school wear their Texans gear in support of the team. They had the Cy-Fair school district's photographer on hand to document the fun event for the school. Excitement was in the air!

A group of Texans folks arrived after lunch to decorate Connor's classroom for the party. They brought balloons, huge stand-up player posters, gifts for all the kids, yummy snacks, and even crafts. The room looked awesome and we couldn't wait for the kids to arrive.

Here's the decorated classroom before the kids arrived.

When the kids arrived in the classroom, they walked in VERY quietly. They were all so overwhelmed at all the attention that the party was generating throughout the school. None of the kids made a peep and they all sat quietly at their desks taking in all the decorations. Connor was especially overwhelmed and anxious. The Texans representative that organized the party welcomed the kids and explained how Connor won a contest for being such a big fan. They presented all the kids with their gifts and then gave Connor a huge gift bag full of Houston Texans goodies. The class was still completely silent and not sure how to act, so everyone watched as Connor opened his gift bag. He was completely nervous and acting very silly, not sure how to handle all the attention!

Connor opens his gift bag full of awesome Texans goodies!

One of the Texans representatives found out that Connor is a big fan of Brian Cushing, the Texans' awesome defensive linebacker and 2011 MVP. She received a personalized text message from Brian Cushing to Connor and she read it to Connor in front of the class. Brian said, "Tell Connor that we appreciate him being such a big fan and can’t wait for him to come to a game next year!" Man, how cool is that?!

Connor poses with Ashley the cheerleader.

Then, the kids were in for the biggest treat of all. TORO arrived in Mrs. Hunter's classroom! The mood in the room immediately changed as all the kids couldn't contain their excitement any longer. TORO greeted Connor and toured the room, ending up at Mrs. Hunter's desk.

Look at that smile! Connor loves TORO!

The kids laughed so hard as TORO decided he was going to be the teacher. Then TORO invited all the kids to come up and get an autographed picture of TORO himself. He signed and personalized a picture for each child while Connor looked on.

Connor helped TORO autograph his pictures for the kids.

Here are some more photos from the party:

Kaitlynn attended the party, too. Her face is due to NO nap!

My favorite pic of the day: TORO lifting Connor. Biggest smile ever!

TORO and the cheerleaders posed with the entire class.

And here's one with Mom and Dad.

Towards the end of the party, a videographer from HoustonTexans.com asked if he could interview us. He interviewed me, the principal of the school, and of course, Connor. It was SO nerve-wracking to have that huge camera in my face and I'm sure I came across as a crazy person. I don't look forward to seeing that! I watched as Connor was interviewed and he was completely awestruck and didn't have much to say at all. It'll be interesting if they get anything worth using, but supposedly they are going to post the edited interviews on Texans TV next week! I'll be sure and post the link when I get it.

Connor was interviewed for Texans TV.

Connor's Texans party was AMAZING!! It was better than we could've hoped for and we feel so lucky to have been given such an incredible opportunity. Connor came home with a TON of Texans goodies, including a hat, t-shirt, sweatsuit, and an action picture and mini-helmet autographed by #90 Mario Williams!

I think Jeff said it best earlier in the day: Connor's life just peaked at age 5. It's all downhill from here, ha!!

6 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS! I don't even know what to say. I have no doubt that this was such an incredible day/experience for your whole family. I'd venture to guess you were just as excited as Connor! He will forever cherish this special event and I'm so glad the school was on board for the fun. I bet the kids in the class were so excited and how nice that they each got treats too. I'm glad Jeff and Kaitlynn got to join in on the fun too.

    I was just thinking about this the other day, wondering when it was going to happen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Goodness!! (Ooops, ditto Dana!!) That will definitely be a great memory and story of a lifetime! Had to laugh at Jeff's quote! It could also be the beginning of a charmed life! ;) blessings ~ tanna
    ps love that Texan room! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW girl! I can't even begin to imagine how thrilled and excited Connor was and still is! I couldn't think of a more perfect little boy to win that award. So fitting for your family! And wow- what a party they threw for him. So great that his school was willing to participate in all the events. Oh and awesome room he has! Did you guys do it yourselves or did you have some help? It looks amazing! I can only imagine how much he must just love it!

    What a special, special day for Connor. My guess is he is going to wear that huge smile for weeks to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't think of another 5 year old in the entire world who would appreciate the event as much as Connor! Exciting! Congratulations to Connor for his winning spirit!!! Love, MeMe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hands down one of the coolest things I've ever heard of! As I kept reading, I kept getting more and more excited with each part of the day, so I can only imagine how Connor and his class must have felt! That is AWESOME! And let me tell you, they picked the RIGHT FAN! Not only is there no one more deserving, but I am willing to bet money that there is no one who is more appreciative also. I am so excited for Connor. I can't think of a better day for him. Jeff may have hit the nail on the head with his comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing, awesome memory! And you have captured and immortalized it forever! LOVED reading about it and seeing all the pictures. SO COOL!!

    ReplyDelete