Monday, August 29, 2011

Conversations with Kaitlynn

Ever since she turned 2, Kaitlynn has been adding more words and phrases to her vocabulary. I thought I'd write down some of the more common ones so that when I look back, I'll be able to remember how her conversations began.


Kaitlynn refers to all 3 of her brothers as "Buddy". It's actually kind of surprising, because we don't really call them that at all other than the occasional "Hey buddy" when talking to Connor. I'll say "Give your brothers a kiss" or "Say hi to your brothers" and she'll immediately call for them, "Buddy? Buddy!" to get their attention. Just in the past couple of weeks, she began saying "Nonno" for Connor, but she still refuses to say Collin or Kevin.

Connor can often be found playing cheetah on all fours, and during those times Kaitlynn refers to him as "Puppy." I guess that makes sense?

Kaitlynn's favorite number has always been 2. She only seems to know that number and no other. When she counts to 5, it goes like this: "2, 2, 2, 2, 2!" And then she'll look up at you with a proud expression, waiting for you to congratulate her on her excellent counting ability.


When she is having trouble doing something, she'll look up and say "Tight!" She first started using the word tight to describe something that wouldn't fit, like a shoe or seatbelt. But now she says it anytime she's having trouble with anything. She also says "How" for Help sometimes.

She describes most objects as "Dis" for the word This. As in, "All done dis" or "MY dis!"

When she successfully completes a task or fixes a problem, she'll exclaim, "Dare!" for There!

Long ago she started referring to a movie as "Uh Uh." I have no idea where this came from or why she continues saying it even when we correct her that it's a movie, not an Uh Uh.

She says Thank You often and it comes out as "Dee Dee!" I have to tell strangers after she thanks them because they don't understand what she is trying to say, and she'll keep saying it over and over, louder and louder until they say "You're Welcome."


Kaitlynn refers to a phone as a "Yo." Yo is short for Hello, which is what you say when you answer the phone. It's a catchy word. These days when any of us are looking for our phones, we'll ask "Have you seen my yo?"

Another catchy word of Kaitlynn's is "Moosh." As in, get out of my way (Move!) I often find myself telling others to "moosh" before I correct myself.

Some expressions Kaitlynn uses these days: "Oh gosh!" if she accidentally trips, "WOW!" or "Cool!" when she sees something neat, and my personal favorite, "Yeah, baby, yeah!" when she's cheering on the Texans.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE that girl's personality! So fun to read all about her little Kaitlynnisms. From your previous post, it sounds like you guys are super busy these days. I'm glad to hear that Connor is liking kindergarten and making some friends. Can't wait to hear more about his adventures...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweet K...what would we do without you and your cute conversations. You are a bundle of joy and I'm glad you and Mommy are having some nice quality time together. You are such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Priceless. You are so great at capturing these conversations!

    I had to laugh at the "Dee-Dee" for thank you. Alex says "Nah-nahs," and I'm not sure how he got to that either. We're just now getting something that sounds more like thank you. But I, too, have to explain to strangers that Alex is saying thank you when he says "nah-nahs."

    ReplyDelete