Monday, August 22, 2011

Connor the Kindergartner

Well, it's official. My baby boy is now a kindergartner!! Check out this smile, he is SO proud and excited!


I always assumed I'd be more than ready to see Connor start school when it was time, but I admit I've been feeling way more emotional about it than I expected. Last week after we met Connor's teacher, I was an emotional wreck! I was wondering what was wrong with me, and then my mom told me that she would be worried about me if I didn't feel this way. I guess the emotions just caught me off guard because I've never been the sentimental type. I had a few crying fits but I kept it together in front of Connor. He couldn't have been more excited about his first day!

Our first morning before school went great. When Connor woke up, I greeted him with hugs and smiles, telling him how proud of him I am. Of course, I had to choke back the tears a bit. He had breakfast while I finished packing his lunch and backpack. Then we all got ready and took some pictures to commemorate his big day.


Love that congratulatory handshake! Jeff joined us to see Connor off on his first day. I was a little unsure of what to expect because the transportation to/from school can be challenging. We don't have buses in our neighborhood because the school is so close. I had initially signed Connor up to be a car-rider, but then after hearing some nightmare stories from fellow Moms I decided we would just walk him to/from school for these first few days/weeks. It was a bit chaotic and crowded when we arrived at the school -- you could feel the excitement in the air!


Connor led the way through the school to his classroom. He was SO excited!! When we got to his classroom, his teacher Mrs. Hunter asked him to pick a table and sit where he wanted. He tried to sit at HER desk but eventually chose a spot next to 2 other boys.


Connor's very first kindergarten assignment was to use playdoh and make the first letter of his name. How cool!

One last picture of the morning before I officially became a helicopter Mom. Here's Connor with his sweet teacher, Mrs. Hunter.


It was SO strange coming back home without Connor. Kaitlynn was confused, too. She kept asking where "Nonno" was and she seemed sad without him. I managed to keep my emotions in check and only teared up a time or two.

While Connor was in school, Kaitlynn and I ran some errands, did some chores, and Kaitlynn got a nap. When it was time to pick Connor up, I drove a little closer to the school and walked the rest of the way with Kaitlynn in the stroller. It was SO hot. We got there too early and waited outside the back entrance for the kids to come out.


Finally, the kids started pouring out and I had my camera ready. After 15 minutes, Connor still wasn't there. I waited longer and longer, all the while dripping with sweat in 100+ degree heat. Kaitlynn was getting quite restless at this point, too. The teachers at the entrance said all the kids were out, so if we wanted to check on our missing children (there were a few Moms wondering where their kids were) we'd have to walk around the school to the front entrance to find them. I was getting a huge lump in my throat, not because I was worried about Connor's safety, but at this point I was just ready to see him. I began walking towards the front entrance when I saw Connor making his way out the back door. I BURST into tears, I was so happy to see him! The emotions and confusion of the day had caught up with me, and I just lost it right there! I hugged him so hard and tried not to let him know I was bawling behind my sunglasses. He had the hugest smile and said, "Kindergarten is SO tiring!"


What a day!

5 comments:

  1. Lauri,

    I loved that you guys walked to school! What a fun memory. Sounds like Connor had a great day. I'm sorry it was emotional for you, but I agree with your mom that it's totally normal! I can only imagine how excited you were to hug him at the end of the day. I know it must have made him feel so special to see you so excited to see him. I'm glad you made it a special day for him. What a blessing.

    Can't wait to see you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janie (MeMe....Mom)August 22, 2011 at 8:24 PM

    I'm so glad that Connor had a great first day of kindergarten! It sounds like Connor and Mom will sleep good tonight! Love, MeMe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, girl. I can feel the emotions just by reading your post. Sounds like a great day met with some unexpected tears of joy and sorrow. I am so glad that Connor had such a wonderful day - you can certainly see it by the smiles he gave. Here's hoping that he has a great experience with kindergarten. =) Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So thankful Jacob and Connor are doing this Kindergarten thing together! :) Love having your support. I'm so impressed with Connor's enthusiam for school. What a great student he is going to be. I can't wait to hear more stories of his year! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, mothering will take you to some places you could never have expected, huh? ;)

    Connor is so handsome and I love that he is so excited about school! I always loved going to school... and, to this day, I still feel that stirring of excitement when that 'smell' hits the air. The back-to-school smell. I know Connor is going to do so well. That is a real blessing, Lauri! hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete