Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Time for Time-out

At almost 20 months of age, Miss Kaitlynn Faith has been going through a not-so-fun stage lately. She recently learned the word "No!" and uses it all. the. time. At first it was kind of cute but lately it's becoming a problem. She shakes her head emphatically while spitting out the word "No!" in a very naughty tone.

She also seems to be going through a hitting phase. She doesn't usually strike very hard, but she definitely gives people or things a good slap when she's unhappy about something. She has perfected her scowl, too. Where does this behavior come from? I remember going through a tough phase with Connor at this age but he was never so openly defiant like Kaitlynn.

(Did you just hear that? That was the sound of my parents chuckling loudly as they realize I FINALLY have the child I deserve.)

Anyway, after witnessing Kaitlynn's naughtiness for a while, I decided it was time. Time for time-out. She is old enough to "get it" and her behavior definitely deserves it at times. So last week after one of her many episodes (to put it kindly) I warned her that if she continued then I would put her in time-out. I think at that point she swung back and slapped me. I picked her up and said in a stern voice, "Kaitlynn, you are going to time-out for 1 minute for hitting Mommy and acting naughty." I set her down firmly on a spot on the floor by the fireplace saying again, "Time out."

Cue the red-faced, screaming fit.

Kaitlynn got up to run to me and I placed her back down in time-out. We did this over and over and over again. She was NOT a happy camper and screamed louder each and every time I put her back down. I probably put her back down more than 50 times. She eventually stayed put, and then after a minute or so I walked over to her and asked her to stand up. I told her, "Kaitlynn, you were in time-out because you were very naughty and hit Mommy. Now tell Mommy you're sorry." She said something that in no way resembled "Sorry" but at least it had 2 syllables. Then we hugged and kissed and all was well. For about 2 minutes, and then we had to do it all over again.

Since that first night, Kaitlynn definitely understands what time-out is and when I ask her if she wants to go to time-out, she says (what else?) "No!" Except for one time when she said "Yes" and walked to time-out by herself and sat down calmly. I have no idea what that was about except possibly another show of open defiance. Definitely my child.


6 comments:

  1. Oh doesn't she look pitiful. It really stinks when they start getting that little attitude, doesn't it? Seems like they aren't so little anymore. And you are right, I bet your mom is laughing now. Haha!

    Jackson got his Mack truck and Lightening, Chick Hicks, and The King car all taken away from him in the span of 1 minute before nap time. Each time for yelling at me. Just kept going as I was taking stuff away. Then he hit me and I determined it was bedtime! He went RIGHT to sleep. Guess the little toot was tired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there!!! LOL! It's much easier on this side of the fence. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, girl. I dread the day. Alex isn't quite there yet, but he's definitely learned to say "no," just no attitude yet. Jerry and I tell him, "When we ask you to do something, you do it right away, all the way, and with a good attitude." We've never done time outs, so I'm not sure how that would go over. We've gone straight to spankings. And we're trying very hard to be consistent about a one-warning approach. I know it's about to get really challenging. And just in time as we welcome a newborn into the mix. Fun times. Perhaps I'll call you for some encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that face of hers. Not a happy camper. If only we could see mommy's face too! :)

    Good for you for being so consistent and putting her back in time out when she kept getting out. That kind of stuff wears me out but you gotta do it. Way to go mommy!

    Hang in there girl. Hopefully this will just be a bump in the road and she will be back to sweet K in no time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's so darn cute, it's hard for me to imagine that your sweet baby girl needs time out! HA! You've got your hands full with that one, that's for sure! She's cute as anything, but she's NO CONNOR when it comes to her behavior! Paybacks are hell....but just think how cute she is with those facial expressions! Even when she is upset or mad, she's going to be adorable! Love it! And....keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, MeMe did get a laugh out of this post! MOM

    ReplyDelete