Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Connor's Last Day of Kindergarten

Connor's first year of elementary school is now officially in the books! Today was his last day of kindergarten and, oh my, how the year has flown! I remember so vividly those first few days where we were all adjusting to this big change for him. Truthfully, it was a much more difficult adjustment that I ever anticipated -- for ME. Connor, on the other hand, was the model student and has enjoyed kindergarten immensely.

We were blessed beyond measure with Connor's teacher, Mrs. Hunter. She has been the perfect teacher for him in so many ways. This morning when Connor was talking excitedly about his last day of school, he suddenly said, "I'm going to miss Mrs. Hunter next year" and he actually choked up as he said it. It brought tears to my eyes. Mrs. Hunter has set the bar high for Connor's future teachers.

Connor and Mrs. Hunter.

I was browsing Pinterest a long time ago and found a popular idea that I wanted to do for Connor. I purchased the Dr. Seuss book called Oh, the Places You'll Go! and decided to try to have each of Connor's teachers write a special message in it for him to have as a keepsake in the future. I asked Mrs. Hunter to participate, and this is what she wrote for him:

Mrs. Hunter's sweet message for Connor.

The places you'll go
& the things that you'll see,
Can be everything that
You want them to be!
With your joy in learning
(and some hard work, too!)
Anything that you want
can come true!
If I wasn't convinced before that she was the perfect kindergarten teacher for Connor, that extra special message sealed the deal. When I read her message to Connor, his eyes lit up and he grinned so big. I'm not sure who loved it more, him or me. :-)

Connor made some great friends this year at his elementary school, but his favorite friends at school are still the boys that live on both sides of our house. We have been so lucky to have neighbors on both sides of us with elementary school boys of their own. The 5 boys play together all the time and have become such great friends. We Moms have been taking turns carpooling and it is quite a sight to see 5 boys pile in and out of our minivans and SUVs! Here are the boys this morning on their last day of school.

Connor and the neighbor boys on their last day of school.

Even though today was the last day of school, the end-of-year party was actually held last Friday. Since I was Mrs. Hunter's room mother, I decided on a beach theme and got so much help from all of the parents in Connor's class. The kids had a great time eating pizza and treats and celebrating the end of the year.

Connor's kindergarten class at their end-of-year beach party.

Time for a silly pose!

Mrs. Hunter awarded Connor with a "Rocket into Reading" award for his progress in reading.

Everyone sing together now..."Schoooooool's Out.. For... Summer!"

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that both connor and kaitlynn had such a special year. Sounds like they had great teachers. Hopefully you will have just as great of an experience next year. I bet connor will absolutely love that book when he graduates with messages from all of his teachers. Really is such a special idea. I have no doubt that your beach themed party was a huge success. right up your alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about Connor's last day of Kindergarten. Girl- how is it that we have 1st graders now?? It seems just like yesterday we were talking on the phone several times a week comparing notes on the beginning of school. I have to say I was SO emotional Jacob's last week of school. I was NOT expecting that. I can honestly say that I was more emotional when the year ended than when it began?? Strange. I think it was so many things- we'll have to talk later.

    And the "Oh the places you'll go" book- I did the exact same thing for Jacob. Too funny. LOVE Pinterest!

    I'm so happy for you that Connor had such a great year. It's so important to get the school years off to the right start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Mrs. Hunter is a keeper for sure! And that note in the book - I almost teared up reading it! Wow! What a wonderful idea. I might just have to steal that one!

    And Kaitlynn has really grown up in the last year, hasn't she. My, oh, my the time goes too fast. Won't be long before you're getting her book signed, too.

    I loved the Mother's Day photos (you look beautiful, as always), but I hated to hear that everyone was fighting such an awful bug. I hope that NEVER happens again for you guys, too!

    I am so excited to see you in just a couple of weeks. I am counting down the days - can you believe it's almost here?!! Woohoo! Love you!

    ReplyDelete