Thursday, May 3, 2012

Happy Birthday, Connor!

Connor turned 6 years old today!

May 3rd will forever be the day that changed me from an ordinary woman into a Mom. That alone makes it one of the most special days of my life. Add to that the arrival of my firstborn, the sweetest and chubbiest little baby I'd ever laid eyes on, my precious Connor Morgan Courtright, a.k.a. our Conman.




I love this kid more than words can say. He delights me in more ways than I could ever imagine. He has such a tender heart and loving nature. He is smart, inquisitive, gentle, fun-loving, talkative, creative, and has such a joyful disposition towards life. He can also be stubborn and try my patience in so many ways, but what 6-year-old doesn't do those things? ;-)



Connor at 6 is such a neat kid. It's no surprise that he has an overwhelming passion for football and the Houston Texans. Sometimes I get frustrated with his insistence on wearing his Texans jerseys to school all the time, but a wise fellow mother reminded me that a kid's passion is a good thing. He loves sports of all kinds and knows way more about the NFL than we ever give him credit for. He sat mesmerized watching the NFL draft all weekend last month and commenting on each team's picks. What kid does that?!




Connor is also an incredible reader. His tests show that he reads at a 2nd-3rd grade level, which we couldn't be more proud of. We can no longer "hide" things from him by spelling them instead of saying them because he always figures out what we've spelled. He is a very conscientious student and definitely a people-pleaser and rule-follower. When he has school homework, he sits at the kitchen table, reads the instructions, and completes the assignment without any assistance.




He is a tall kid but very slim, making it hard to find clothes that fit right on him. He also has huge feet, already wearing a youth size 2 shoe. He still hasn't lost any of his baby teeth yet. Every single morning, he eats a bowl of instant oatmeal for breakfast (the cinnamon and spice flavor, nothing else!) and he sometimes even eats it for dinner. I have to buy 10-15 boxes at a time from the grocery store to keep up with the demand. He is an extremely picky eater. We often have difficult evenings at the dinner table due to his reluctance (refusal?) to eat dinner with the family.



Connor is not a very affectionate kid except when it comes to his mother and sister. He often lavishes hugs and kisses on us but rarely doles them out for anyone else. (No complaints here!)



Before Connor was born, someone told me that having a little boy was the start of a lifetime love affair between Mom and Son. I just loved that and didn't understand it right away, but boy do I get it now.


Newborn Connor with his beloved blue blankie, still a bedtime necessity.

Happy 6th Birthday, Connor!

6 comments:

  1. Janie, Mom, MeMeMay 3, 2012 at 8:25 PM

    What a sweet post! I remember 6 years ago very well and can't help but wonder where that chubby little face went? Connor is looking very grown up these days!
    I hope that his birthday was very special and that he enjoys his birthday surprises! Love, MeMe

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a super sweet post. You are one lucky girl to have such a sweet boy. I love everything you wrote about him in this post. I can tell how very much you love him and how proud of him you are. And I just still cannot get over his love of football and all his knowledge! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your love shines though, Lauri. Beautiful post. Happy, Happy belated birthday to your fine young man (he is looking soooo grown - up these days!). blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connor is about as sweet as they come. Kind-hearted, sweet, caring, gentle, such a great kid you are raising. Love all these pictures, he is mighty handsome with that spikey hair and those big blue eyes. His love and knowledge of football cracks me up. I love that he has such passion for the sport.

    So glad you got to have a special day to celebrate your Con-man! (I've always loved that name)
    Happy, happy birthday sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great post, Lauri. I will never forget driving home from work after Connor was born and you telling me all about the experience. Such an emotional day - that carries on through the years, no doubt. I can't believe your precious little love is six. He's growing up. And you've captured so much of his spirit and your love for him in this post and in these pictures. Hope you guys had a wonderful birthday celebration! Love and hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! Happy Birthday Connor! Looking forward to seeing y'all this summer!

    ReplyDelete