Thursday, October 13, 2011

Kindergarten Updates

I don't know how I managed to skip this update, but Connor's elementary school had their Curriculum Night last month. I didn't realize beforehand that it is designed for parents and not kids. Connor and I went together, and I'm glad we did because he was able to show me a few things in his classroom.

Here we are before leaving for Curriculum Night.

Connor sits at his desk in his classroom.

I noticed a little poster in Connor's classroom that had all the kids' names on it. I guess they were supposed to sign their name in agreement for being a good student and friend. I thought it was interesting that Connor signed his name way up at the top and all on its own. I wonder what that means? Jeff thinks it means he is a leader. ;-)


Connor has begun buying his breakfast and lunch on certain days at school. I think it makes him feel like such a big kid. He had to memorize his 5-digit student cafeteria code, and once he did that he was able to go through the lunch line. I told him he could pick 1 day each week for breakfast and lunch, and he has chosen Wednesdays for both because they serve cinnamon rolls and hot dogs that day.


One of his favorite things to do is wear his Houston Texans jersey to school. It's his way of cheering on his team before the games each weekend.


Connor hasn't been assigned official homework yet but he often has some take-home papers that he can work on if he wants. He enjoys his papers as long as you don't call it "homework." He has already decided he HATES homework, thanks to the teenagers in the house that have always complained about it!


I took this picture of his paper with his name on it because, to be honest, I have no idea when he started writing his full name. Maybe he did this last year in preschool but I was just proud to see it...Courtright is a tough name to learn, ha!


Jeff and I had our first conference with Connor's teacher this week. It was so interesting to hear how Connor is doing in his class. Mrs. Hunter says Connor is such a "doll" and is an enthusiastic, focused learner. Everything she had to say was positive, so we were reminded of how much we have to be proud of with our sweet boy.

I have been spending a few volunteer hours each week at Connor's school. I have really enjoyed meeting some of the other moms and teachers. Some of the things I've been doing include stapling newsletters, laminating classroom papers, and helping with hearing screening. I've also volunteered to be the Room Mom for Connor's class. We have field day coming up in a few weeks, so I'm about to be busy.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you have the opportunity to spend time at Connor's school! It is very important for you and for him! Isn't it great that Connor is so excited and doing so well with school.....hope it always continues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a great update!!! He is a doll. I'm so glad he's loving school!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...Connor is such a big boy. Sounds like his year is off to a great start! I'm so glad you are getting connected volunteering and meeting other moms. What a fun update. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness gracious sakes alive, you sound busy. Good busy, but busy nonetheless. When do you find time to breathe? Is this what happens when the kids start school?

    And might I say that you look great? I'm loving all the pics of you and the kids together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a smart boy Connor is! So so glad his year is off to a good start. he's such a sweet boy. That cracked me up with his name at the top of the board- leadership it is! haha! And I love Kaitlynn's cheeks in the picture of her looking over Connor's shoulder while he is working. So adorable!

    Hope all is well with you guys. I might need to give you a call soon and catch up. It's been awhile.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete