Monday, September 12, 2011

Special Season Opener

Yesterday was a special day in so many ways. It was the season opener at home for our Houston Texans and our entire family was able to attend. That alone made it a great day, and it only got better and better.

First up, tailgating. It was a hot one! We enjoyed hanging around in the shade, eating some food and snacks, throwing the football, and the teenagers even managed to get a nap. Seriously, they can sleep anywhere!


Finally, we made it inside the air-conditioned stadium.


Every stadium chair had a miniature US flag as part of the September 11 tribute, and the pre-game ceremony was as touching as I've ever witnessed. On the field was a 100-yard American flag. "Taps" was played and we watched on the screen as every other Live NFL game was broadcasting the same song and view at the exact same time across our country. You could've heard a pin drop in our stadium of 70,000+ fans as everyone remembered those tragic events of 10 years earlier.


Later in the day, I was overwhelmed with joy to see the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band perform at halftime. It took me back in time well over 10 years ago when I was standing and watching proudly at Kyle Field. I will never tire of watching them perform.


To cap off the exciting day, our Houston Texans pulled out an amazing victory over the Colts!


It was a thrilling day, both physically and emotionally draining. This was the scene on the drive home.


Go Texans, and God Bless America!

4 comments:

  1. Oh what a fun day! I can only imagine the feelings of American pride/sadness everyone had during the playing of Taps. What a beautiful moment. One of the things I do love about sports is the way they always make sure to remember our country and the sacrifice of so many in lots of different ways. And the Aggie band - what a special treat!!! One of my fondest college memories is watching the Fightin Texas Aggie Band at Kyle Field. Doesn't get much better than that!!

    Can't believe the teenagers were asleep in the car too. Must have been a LONG day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the Courtrights are bringing in football season in a great way. So glad you guys were all able to enjoy the day together. And how special to see the tribute to 9/11. I can only imagine how moving that was. And the Aggie band, what a treat. And a win for the Texans, you guys just can't beat that kind of day. So glad you all enjoyed it! I'm sure you all slept good that night! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great memories and traditions you are making with your family! It's still so interesting to me to see my (long-lost) relatives through your eyes. The post about Aunt Cheryl and Uncle Jerry was especially close to my heart. It would be so nice to go out to dinner with you guys if you ever have time when you are up in Michigan! I feel like I know you so well, and yet we've never met. I mostly just stalk your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much fun!!!!!!! My family needs to do more fun stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete