Friday, March 4, 2011

Trip to the Zoo

We have had the most gorgeous weather here in Houston this week. Highs in the 70s, lows in the 40s. Perfect!! When we are blessed with this kind of weather, it usually means one thing: our annual trip to the Houston zoo. Connor LOVES going but I'm usually the party pooper (I'm not a fan of crowds, or heat, or stinky animals, ha!) but there's no way I would turn down a day outside these days, even if it means braving the zoo!

Like most theme parks, our zoo has photographers that camp out at the zoo entrance and snap your picture when you enter. They ask you to come back and view your photos later in the day, and of course they charge an arm and a leg to buy even the smallest size photo. But let me tell you, when I saw this one of my cuties, I just had to buy it!



Connor immediately wanted to see his two favorite animal exhibits: the cheetahs (he loves them because they're so fast) and Zaboomafoo (he's a lemur from a show on PBS Sprout). So we stopped and took his picture with them both.




We then saw the giraffes, my personal favorite.



The last time we visited the zoo, Kaitlynn was about 10 months old. I was curious whether she would enjoy it but I assumed she would be fascinated by the large animals. I was wrong. She seemed a bit intimidated every time we saw the bigger animals and she didn't want to get out of her stroller. I'm not sure if she was afraid or just confused. This was the look I got when I asked if she liked the animals:



She DID enjoy saying "bye bye" to the animals every time we moved on. But I knew we had struck gold when we came upon the petting zoo. She was out of that stroller in no time and immediately began petting the little animals. (I have no idea what these animals are??)



They offered the kids these brushes so they could brush the animals' coats. Connor and Kaitlynn loved it.



It dawned on me that maybe she loved the petting zoo so much and not the other exhibits because the little animals here maybe remind her of dogs? And we all know how much she loves dogs.



After the petting zoo, we found a nice shady spot to have our zoo picnic. I love that they'll let you bring in your own food and drinks. And I can't say enough about how gorgeous the weather was. Definitely a perfect day for a picnic.



We made one last stop at the kids' playground.



And then I knew it was time to call it a day when I saw this. Kaitlynn had found an "emergency paci" that was strapped to my bag, and she was determined to use it (always a sign of exhaustion!):



It was a great day! It definitely helps remind me how blessed I am that my "job" allows me to spend a beautiful day with my kids at the zoo.

6 comments:

  1. Aw, what a fun day you guys had. I'm like you, I love the zoo this time of the year. Dana and I were just talking about the zoo.

    I love all the pics. The first one is great of both of them. Their eyes look so blue and their hair so blonde. Love it! So, so glad you are enjoying the flexibility of your job...strolling through the zoo with your two favorite little people, on a beautiful day! Gotta love that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! Fun! Fun! I always loved going to the zoo with the kids when they were little... maybe I liked it more than they did. =/

    You got some great photos, too, Lauri! Glad your job gave you a chance to share that kind of day with your precious children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever price you paid for that photo of Connor and Kaitlynn, it was worth every single cent. So sweet!

    I love zoo trips, and I am jealous of your excursion. Our local zoo has about seven animals (one of which is a crow), and they charge you a ridiculous amount of money to see them considering what we've got. So thank you for sharing your lemurs and giraffes. A girl can dream...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture of Connor and Kaitlynn at the entrance to the zoo is perfect. Connor loves his sister so much! Glad you guys had a fun day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, that picture of Connor & Kaitlynn is the best picture EVER! I can definitely see why you had to make the purchase, and well worth it, I might add! Also, the picture of Kaitlynn with the pacifier is priceless! I think you need to blow that one up and show it at her wedding. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you got to enjoy a trip to the zoo with the kiddos. This is the perfect time of year for a zoo trip! Wish we could be closer and join you guys! Kaitlynn and Connor look SO sweet in the first picture. Definitely worth the money you paid for it! :-)

    ReplyDelete