Friday, March 11, 2011

Connor's First Sleepover

A couple of weeks ago, Connor had his first sleepover at a friend's house (without Mommy or Daddy). It was a momentous occasion, with MUCH anticipation on his part beforehand. Connor's best buddy Benjamin invited him to spend the night and Connor couldn't have been more excited. Benjamin's mom Julie and I decided to have a playdate with our kids at one of our local parks, and then Connor would just go home with them. I borrowed (stole?) all of Julie's pics and stories to be able to recap the boys' adventures so that we'll have it in our annual blog/scrapbook at the end of the year, and I'm so thankful that Julie captured all of the fun they had!

First up, we met at our local Hermann Park in the downtown area. It is a really neat park with several different play areas and it even offers a neat train ride around the perimeter of the park. That's always the kids' favorite part. Here are Kaitlynn, Connor, and Benjamin waiting for the first train of the morning.



Finally, it's here! The excitement is building!




Playing at the park. It was lots of fun for all the kids and wore them all out!




The park had lots of nice picnic areas and so we had a fun picnic at lunchtime. After a little more playtime, it was time to head home. Connor was so worked up about being able to go home with Benjamin. As tired as they both were, Connor was talking Benjamin's head off all the way home (is anyone surprised about that??) and poor Benjamin just wanted to rest. No one ever really gets how much Connor talks until they spend long periods of time with him. I think Julie finally understood why I'm always asking Connor for "quiet time for Mommy!" Ha!

Once the boys got to Benjamin's house, they were able to enjoy the beautiful weather and play outside.





And right about that time, the ice cream truck showed up! Woohoo! I have the fondest memories of getting ice cream treats from the ice cream man when I was younger, so I know this was such a special treat for the boys.



Connor ate his to the last drop. It was running all the way down his arms. Definitely the sign of a successful snack.




Later that night, Julie treated the boys to pizza. Yum! Connor was so hungry that he ate 5 pieces, and for some reason he wanted to arrange his crusts (we call them "pizza bones") around his plate. Maybe as a dinner trophy? I personally think he looks a bit drunk off the pizza, ha!





After dinner, the boys had a much-needed bath. They loved bathtime, especially with all the bubbles!



Then they had movie night with popcorn, Connor's favorite. Can you tell these boys were worn out?




Julie said around 8:30, Connor said he was tired and actually asked to go to bed. WOW! Now that is a tired kid. Benjamin didn't put up any argument either! They had a quick story and were tucked into bed.




Now comes my favorite part of their sleepover adventure. Julie and her husband Harry were listening to the boys over the monitor as they had some bedtime conversations. Benjamin asked Connor if he was ever scared when he went to bed at night. Connor said, "Sometimes my brother Kevin sleeps in my room with me, and I'm not nearly as scared when he's there." Awwww!

Then as they continued to talk about feeling scared, Benjamin said, "God is always with us. Do you know that, Connor? We are never alone because God is everywhere we go." Oh my, what a sweet and precious boy! Sounds like a 4-year-old that could teach me a thing or two.

The next morning, the boys woke up and had McDonald's pancakes for breakfast. Can you say spoiled?? :-) Then they went to the neighborhood park and played until they were worn out again.



When they got back home, they spent some time drawing and coloring.



Around that time, Kaitlynn and I headed over to pick up Connor and take him home. I should say, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the afternoon/evening/morning while Connor was gone. It was SO much quieter at our house! When we arrived at Benjamin's house, his precious sister Lily greeted us with a huge smile.



And then Kaitlynn and I took turns holding her.




Finally, a shot of my sweet friend Julie with her oldest, Benjamin. I have grown to love this family SO much and continue to be so blessed by our friendships.



Julie, thank you so much for loving my boy like your own and making such fun and special memories that he'll cherish for years to come! Connor is already anticipating his next sleepover!

5 comments:

  1. What fun for Connor and Ben. And for mommy and daddy. :) It looks like Julie took good care of those boys and took them on many fun adventures. So glad you have found such a good friend in her and that the boys have developed such a great friendship. I see many more sleepovers in the future!

    Oh and by the way, you are lookin' good my friend! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh - that sounds like such a fun adventure for Connor!!! And she was so sweet to take him for such a long time. You had a whole afternoon, evening, and morning! Wow! I bet he had such a great time and hearing about them talking in bed just makes my heart happy. That is so precious and so sweet that they were talking about Jesus. It's nice that Connor has found such a nice friend and that you enjoy his mom. What a blessing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend, Julie, seems to be a very special lady. It is indeed a great blessing in life to have such wonderful friends. The boys look like they were having a blast! I love Lily's BIG smile and Kaitlynn looks like she was taking her job of holding Lily so seriously. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's a sleepover if ever there was one! Julie set the bar, high. What kid wouldn't be in heaven with all of the fun stuff they did?! Connor is blessed to have such a sweet friend as Benjamin, and I know you count your blessings for Julie. I'm tucking away all of these ideas for a few years down the road when it's our turn to host a sleepover for Alex and one of his friends.

    And I couldn't end this comment without telling you how great you look. I so hope you post some before and during/after pics for us soon. You go girl! Keep up the good work. (Oh, and I almost put a disclaimer at the top of my last post that said, "Lauri, please skip immediately past the pictures of the cinnamon rolls." I came so close - ha!) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We feel blessed that we could host Connor's first sleep-over. And to be honest, it was almost effortless! We had such a fun time - we're ready to do it again - hopefully before the dreaded summer heat hits, and I have to keep those sweet boys inside for fear of sweating to death! :-) ...love you and your sweet family - more than you know!

    ReplyDelete