Saturday, July 11, 2009

July Fun

It is so hard to believe that it's almost mid-July! Of course, one minute outside in this Houston heat is enough to want to wish the summer away already. It's miserable out there these days! Connor, Kaitlynn, and I are trying to find lots of indoor activities to stay busy (and cool). Tomorrow we leave for a week at MeMe and Grand Daddy's house, so that should be a fun visit. I hear it's just as hot in East Texas, though!

One of Connor's new favorite activities this summer is the mid-week dollar movie at Cinemark or AMC Theaters. So far we've watched Madagascar II twice already. And Kaitlynn is a trooper to sleep straight through the movie. We also discovered a cool play area at one of the local malls, and my new sit-and-stand stroller is coming in handy for those mall visits. Connor's best buddy Benjamin just returned from a month vacation in Norway, so we finally were able to catch up with him this week on a play date. Connor was SO excited! We also got to see the Dora the Explorer show today as a special treat (although if you ask me, Connor didn't really deserve to go since he's still being so naughty these days!)

Jeff and I are really struggling to get through to Connor about his naughty behavior. The biggest problem is naptime or bedtime. He just throws a major fit about going to bed. He has begun hitting, kicking, screaming, and even throwing things across the room. We don't even recognize him as our kid when he behaves like this! We've tried time-out, taking away privileges, and even spanking. Nothing seems to get through to him. The latest tactic is taking away his beloved teddy bear and blankie. Now THAT is getting his attention, but no telling how long it'll work. I feel like I need a Supernanny intervention or something. Any suggestions??

Kaitlynn is really plumping up these days. She seems to be feeding more often at night than during the daytime, so we're working on that. She is much more alert these days which is fun. Between her awake periods and my struggles with Connor during our naptime, I'm not getting much sleep these days! I could've sworn Kaitlynn smiled at me this week, but Jeff thinks it was my imagination! She's almost 4 weeks now, and she has developed a bit of the baby acne on her face and neck. Early next week we will be visiting my Aunt Tina in the Dallas area for a photo session with both kiddos, so I'll be sure and share the pictures with you when they're ready. In the meantime, here are some pics from the past week or so.

Connor loves to hug and kiss his baby sister. He tells me all the time that he loves her!
We met Jeff out for lunch earlier this week. Here Kaitlynn gives him a yawn.
One of Connor's newest playtime activities is to pretend he is going to work like Dad and Mom. He has his work table set up with his laptop, work phone, and his wooden spoon. He calls the spoon his "stick" and when asked what it's for, he says it's to make money. Hmmm, can I get one of those money sticks??Connor takes an important call from work. The other day I asked him where he worked and he said "kids dot nick dot com". Can you tell he watches a lot of Nickelodeon?
Connor was very excited to go to work with Dad during a lunch break.
Kaitlynn passed out after her tough day at the office.
Bath time for Kaitlynn in the sink -- wonder how much longer she'll fit in there?
Connor and Benjamin reunite! Benjamin brought back this hat for Connor that says "Norge" which means Norway.
They both rode the merry-go-round at their mall playdate.
Connor loved it.
Connor, Benjamin, and Timothy at the Dora show.
Kaitlynn was there, too...asleep most of the time!
Pictures were strictly forbidden so this was the best shot I could get.
Connor and me with his Rescue Pack.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you guys are having lots of fun!

    I don't really have any advice about Connor since I've never had a three year old but right now I'm reading: Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood: Practical Parenting from Birth to Six Years by Jim Fay and Charles Fay. I've read several books trying to prepare for toddlerhood with Jackson and this is my favorite one so far. I know a lot of teachers that use Love and Logic with their students and this particular book is adapted for young kids. So far, it's the best I've read and the approach I intend to take with Jackson. It's all about logical consequences and helping children accept responsibility for their choices. Of course, reading it makes it seems so simple...we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you guys for getting out and doing so much right now! I know that is good for all of you guys. Sorry you are having trouble with Connor right now. Totally normal behavior for what is going on in his life right now but I know that doesn't help you through it when he is acting out. You are doing a great job! Kaitlyn is filling out so much! She looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for ya'lls sweet comments. Dana, I will definitely look into that book!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, I am so impressed with your outings and fun activities for the kiddos. I am in awe. I'm doing good to make it from my bed to the sofa these days. Miss you and hope that we can talk soon. XOXO

    ReplyDelete