Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Adjustments and Boasting

For the last month or more of my pregnancy it seemed like time stood still (And I know my 9-month-pregnant friends Amanda and Cameron understand that!) But I'm having a hard time believing how fast time is flying now that Kaitlynn is here! It's definitely a bit hectic in our household at times. I'm trying to organize morning activities -- library, movies, playdates, etc. -- for Connor each day so that he stays occupied (and I stay sane). But I can honestly say that each day I LIVE for naptime! Most days I try to nap myself but some days I just use the quiet time to catch up around the house. I had forgotten how much dirty laundry a newborn generates and how much MESS a toddler creates! Ha!

One of the surprising things I've noticed lately is how different Connor has been behaving since Kaitlynn arrived. He has boundless energy and is super hyper, and at times he is extremely defiant and just plain naughty! At first I thought it was the natural attention-seeking behavior that all toddlers with newborn siblings experience. But I've since determined that he used to expend most of his energy at school everyday with his friends and lots of structured activities. Now he's at home with little structure (I'm working on that) and so I'm getting the full force of all his energy without any other outlet for him. I'm hoping to enroll him in preschool this fall for a few days a week and maybe that'll help tire him out during those days!

Last weekend we were visiting with a few friends and I found myself boasting about how great things were going with Kaitlynn's arrival. Big mistake. Boast #1: "Kaitlynn's such a great baby. She sleeps all the time and only wakes for feedings every 4 hours at night." Boast #2: "Connor is adjusting so well. I was warned that he might regress with his potty training but he hasn't had a single accident."

Not even a day later, I was up all night and most of the following day with Kaitlynn as she fussed and screamed with what appeared to be a gassy tummy. The dark circles under my eyes were noticed by ALL. And then earlier this week, Connor had not one, not two, but three (yes, three) accidents in a single day for no apparent reason. He hasn't even had that many accidents in the past month combined and all of a sudden he has three in a single day???

Note to others and self: Don't even think about boasting. Your words will come back to haunt you! I admit I have a lot to learn.

Hanging out in the Boppy.Yet another picture of Kaitlynn passed out. Finally, she's filling out her clothes! Connor adores his baby sister. She's not so sure about him, though. Kaitlynn's first shower with Dad. And just for fun, here's a pic of Connor's first shower with Dad from 2006.

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures...I had forgotten what Connor looked like as a young baby. Kaitlynn is definately much smaller and blonder than her big brother!
    You're lucky if you just LIVE for naptime! I can SO STILL remember getting up in the morning LONGING for NAPTIME!!! This too shall pass! Hang in there and take all the naps you can get! Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking the other day how much fun I'm having with Jackson right now and how easy it is...then I started thinking how I better enjoy this because when number 2 comes along I'm not going to have quite so much down time! Once Kaitlynn is a little older and can play more with Connor I bet it will get a little easier. I barely surved Jackson's newborn stage without another kid so I have no good advice for you. Ha! Like your mom said, "this too shall pass!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl, hang in there! I know it's alot to juggle in the beginning, but I promise it will get easier! The first weeks are always a blur and it feels like you can't keep up but it will get better! Sorry to hear Connor is having some accidents, totally normal given the circumstances but I know it doesn't make it easier. Hang in there girlie--this too shall pass! Love you!

    ReplyDelete