Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mother's Day Surprise

Still way behind on posts right now...

This year for Mother's Day I received the best surprise ever! I was in the Dallas area for Amanda's baby shower, and then early Sunday Connor and I headed to Fort Worth to join my extended family at church followed by Connor's birthday celebration with his cousins. Unfortunately Jeff had been consumed by work for many weeks prior, so he was unable to join us this trip. He's been working 18-hour days, even on the weekends, so he sometimes gets left out of events when they conflict with his busy times at work. When we arrived at church, Connor and I made a quick trip to the potty, and when we came out we saw our family members waiting for us in the hallway. Connor was very excited to see his cousins and to go to Bible class with them. All of a sudden, I heard him yell "Daddy!" and run down the hallway towards the front church door. I assumed he was yelling "Grand Daddy!" but I was confused why he would be SO excited to see his grandpa (no offense, Dad!). That's when I watched as Jeff walked through the church door to give Connor a big hug, and then come over towards me. I was having a hard time comprehending that it was actually Jeff standing there, but I was immediately overcome with emotion as I realized that he had driven all the way up to Fort Worth in the middle of the night just so he could surprise me on Mother's Day! He was only able to stay until mid-afternoon and then he had to drive all the way back (5 hours) to Houston for work the following day. It was the best surprise I've had in a long time and made me feel incredibly special!

Mother's Day photo with my baby

4 comments:

  1. That is so sweet. I'm so glad he did that. You totally deserve to feel special and I know you appreciated him making that sacrifice for you. I bet your family enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff earns MAJOR points for that! Wow! So glad that he made your Mother's Day extra special. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT will bring a tear to the eye! Yes, I am with Amanda, Jeff earns major points for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun surprise. I'm glad you had a Happy Mother's Day! Way to go Jeff!

    ReplyDelete