Monday, March 16, 2009

My Latest Pregnancy Indulgences

  • Coke: We might as well be talking about the actual drug here because I am truly addicted to regular, fully-leaded, Coca-Cola Classic. But not just any ole' Coke from a can. No, I want the perfectly blended and carbonated fountain Coke in a Styrofoam cup with a lid and straw. Offer me a homemade brownie or a slice of chocolate cake and I will refuse both just for a single glass of Coke. OK, but let's be honest here: I've had this addiction for years and not simply because I'm pregnant. But the fact that I'm supposed to be cutting back on caffeine makes me want it that much more!
  • Hot baths: I know there are many OB/GYN docs out there that advise pregnant women to avoid hot baths. Thankfully my doctor is not one of them. I have always been a bath-taker, usually every other night or so just to relax before bedtime. But lately, my baths are becoming a religious experience. No sooner do I step in the door at home and then I begin to devise my nighttime routine, which must include a hot bath. I have been known to take a quick shower or even wash my hair in the sink, getting those unpleasant chores out of the way just so I can still take my bath at night (I did that last night, in fact.) I don’t need the Jacuzzi jets or bubbles or candles, just a bathtub full of hot soothing water where I can lay back and relax. Usually around this time I begin to feel the baby start to kick me on my left side, so I’ll press my fingers on her little feet and we’ll play a little game of tag-you're-itfor a few minutes.
  • Books: I am constantly with a book. The longer the better, as far as I’m concerned. I usually go through about 1-2 per week these days. I try to allow myself at least an hour before bed each night, and of course I’m spending a lot of time in doctor’s offices these days where a good book is a must-have. I’ll read anything I can get my hands on, but lately I love novels by Jodi Picoult and Anita Shreve. My mother-in-law Judy recently recommended an Oprah pick that is over 1000 pages so that will be the next one I pursue, assuming I can make it to the bookstore.
  • DVR: What did we do before Tivo and the digital video recorder?? Since I can barely stay up until 8pm these days, I just love how I can record all my favorite shows and watch them at my leisure, usually on the weekends when Connor is napping. I am reluctant to admit that I definitely love reality TV shows. My personal favorites right now are The Millionaire Matchmaker (Bravo TV, I think) and we also just finished the last season of The Real Housewives of Orange County. (Side note: My husband is so hot for Gretchen!)
  • Starburst jellybeans: Have you ever tried these? OMG, they are the best jellybeans ever made. Of course, this might have something to do with my cravings for tangy and sour candy ever since about 18 weeks or so. With Connor, all I wanted was bread and cheese, mayonnaise (strange, I know), anything made with Prego sauce, and pickles. Towards the end with him I was craving chocolate and ice cream like you wouldn’t believe. To this day I’m convinced that’s why he was such a “healthy” baby. So far with this pregnancy, I have had the strangest cravings for crab cakes (ate them for lunch yesterday – yum!) and sour candy. Go figure.
  • CraigsList: I’ve always been the occasional Ebay shopper, but lately I’ve been obsessed with CraigsList. Every night I get home I’ll check the new listings, usually to indulge in my “nesting” instincts in order to find Connor a new bed or find something fun for the new baby (hence our new video monitor purchased recently). If I were more organized I could find a ton of stuff around the house to post for sale myself. In the meantime I’m perfectly content to play the buyer role.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Lauri! This post is just hilarious! I love your indulgences! Those of us who delight in the simple can always find happiness. =) I'm going to have to try those starburst jellybeans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Especially the hot baths, DVR and starburst jellybeans! I'm hooked on these things and I'm not even pregnant! It's all about the cravings--enjoy it while you can! Good luck at your appointment this week and I'll await the update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were with you right now, we'd raise a glass of fully-caffeinated, 100% pure, nothing-but-the-real-thing Coke and toast pregnancy cravings. A Coke and a smile. Nothing beats that. Except when you get to enjoy both with a good friend. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post. Right now I'm craving McDonald's diet cokes every morning. I'm jealous of your video monitor. I would love to have one. What 1000 page book are you going to read? I'm reading The Middle Place right now. Loving spring break - I actually have some time to read! I Tivo The Young and the Restless every day. It's my escape from reality...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana, the book Judy recommended is The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. I know nothing about it except that it's an Oprah pick. I'm jealous of your Spring Break - savor every moment! :-)

    ReplyDelete