Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Connor's Latest Dance Moves

We’ve always known Connor is quite the little dancer – no matter what, he seems to have a tune playing in his head. He can’t just walk from point A to point B; usually he is skipping, galloping, or dancing his way through life!

It’s sometimes difficult to know exactly how Connor spends his day at school, but usually he goes to Music class once a day (in a specially designed theater room) where his group listens to a variety of music, plays with puppets, dances, and whatever else the teachers have in store. I also enrolled him in a weekly Music and Movement class but I haven’t been able to ask yet what types of things they’re teaching the kiddos in there.

One day a couple weeks ago I got a call from Director Brenda at Connor’s daycare. Immediately I assumed Connor was sick or had a boo-boo. Instead, she proceeded to tell me about how Connor was entertaining all the teachers with his dance moves in Music class! I guess she had popped in while his class was enjoying some dance time, and she learned from Connor’s regular teacher, Ms. Beatrice, that he had quite an array of moves. He was shaking his little butt so fast and practicing all kinds of kicks and poses, so Ms. Brenda was calling me to ask me where he learned all that! Ms. Beatrice later told me that anytime Connor hears music, he is the first one to bounce out of his chair and start dancing. She also told me that his favorite songs at school are “Who Let the Dogs Out?” and “We Will Rock You.”

On our commute to and from school each morning, I usually listen to the Top 40 stations. Connor quickly learns the songs and often sings along to them, which of course cracks me up! Some of his favorites these days are Beyonce’s “All the Single Ladies,” Britney’s “Circus”, Lady GaGa’s “Poker Face,” and the song that says, “Put your hands in the ayer, a-ayer, ayer, a-ayer.” It never fails to make me laugh to hear him singing these songs right on cue.

We recently had surround sound installed in our living room and we’ve been enjoying the XM Radio Top 20 music channel on TV. Almost every night, we’ll flip to this channel and dance in the living room to all the songs. Connor says he is taking a “dance break” and proceeds to move and groove to most of the songs, all the while asking all of us to dance with him. Recently, we started noticing some changes in his dance style. He has begun to integrate a lot more physical moves like handstands (his version) and poses, and I think it was Jeff that noticed he seemed to be pointing his toes when he kicked his legs in the air. I thought surely they must be teaching him that in his Music classes at school, but when I asked the teachers they said no. So how is it that our son learned to point his toes like that??

Of course, we often joke about how it makes us a little nervous for our little boy to be so musical and to be doing things like toe pointing. But really we just thoroughly enjoy his antics so much and never fail to laugh hysterically at his dance moves. I’ve also noticed him trying to tackle moves like cartwheels and handstands, and I’ve been wondering if he is trying to mimic some of the break-dance routines they show on the TV dance shows like “So You Think You Can Dance” and MTV’s “World’s Best Dance Crew.” (Those are 2 of Connor’s favorite shows!)

Recently we whipped out the video camera to capture Connor showing off his skills, and interestingly enough, Connor was only wearing his diaper at the time. Oh, and his diaper was disgustingly full at the time (looks like there's a brick in there) but I just couldn't resist posting the video anyway.

Here's a pic showing Connor's "signature" dance pose. Notice the pointed toe.
And here are 2 videos showing off his latest dance moves. Help me out here...is this normal behavior for a 2-year-old?

11 comments:

  1. This post made my day. Laine and I were laughing so hard! I love that he loves Britney and Beyonce. You need to record him singing "All the Single Ladies." Too cute. And the dancing...wow. He sure does have some good moves. I'm just hoping he'll perform for me when you come visit in May. You can tell he's a happy little boy! I definitely think he's been watching some dance shows on t.v. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shake that money maker! I have huge expectations for a show the weekend of the shower. Now, last time he totally shied away from dancing for me, but I won't take no for an answer this time. This is just too good to miss out on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bust a move Connor! That is hilarious! And I was so hoping that saggy diaper wasn't going to slip right off with all of those fancy moves! Looks like quite the work out too.
    He is definitely your son Lauri!! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. That boy is SERIOUS about his dancing!!! ROTFLOL!!! My gosh, I am with Katherine that is a heck of a work out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renee, Ryah and I just finished watching the Connor Dance Show and we all cracked up! I think that they really wished he was here so they could dance with him! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harry and I just finished watching Connor dance! OH MY! He's really got some moves, doesn't he? I think he could teach us a thing or two! LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. good afternoon dudes. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been searching allowing for regarding that exact model. The prices seeking the velcros were approximately 340 bucks on every page. But definitively I base this location selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy these. what can you tell me about these?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who ended up changing the diaper if you do not mind me asking? Mommy or Daddy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am wondering the same thing, if mommy or daddy ended up changing the diaper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looked like it was a pretty stinky one. Did mommy or daddy have the honors of changing that one?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that diaper looks messier then my little brothers, right now- and thats saying something!

    ReplyDelete