Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Girls Weekend

In 2016, I had the privilege of celebrating my 40th birthday together with my best friends from high school. We decided to take a girls trip together in honor of our milestone year, so we met up in San Antonio for an amazing weekend of shopping and girl time!

The area of northern San Antonio near La Canterra is one of my favorite places to spend time away. It's not too far from home, but it feels far enough away for a nice getaway. The shopping, restaurants, hotel, and beautiful landscape all make for such a fun time. We didn't make any plans other than just spending quality time together, and it was such a rejuvenating trip for us to reconnect and catch up.


My besties from high school. 25+ years of friendship!!

Morning hike near our hotel.

We couldn't fit all 4 girls in the photo so Katherine leaned down and I became a giant, ha!

Shopping in the La Canterra outdoor mall on a gorgeous day.

I'd say we had a successful weekend of shopping!

Champagne bellinis to celebrate our 40th birthdays.

Cheers to 40 years!


Being silly, we were dabbing in support of Connor's upcoming student council election

We loved dining out the entire weekend. Wonderful food and company!

Post-dinner selfie.

Walking with the sunrise. Beautiful!

When I think of these three special friends of mine, I feel so grateful and lucky to have made these special and lasting connections. Over the past 25+ years, we have been through so much together and these sweet girls have been by my side through thick and thin.

When I experienced success and joyful moments as both a young woman and now a more mature wife and mother, they cheered with me and praised me for my accomplishments.

When I've made poor choices with permanent consequences in my life, they were there encouraging me to do the right thing and look to the Lord.

When I've experienced sadness and disappointment, they were there to uplift me and remind me that better days were ahead.

When I was selfish and neglected my friendships with them, they always accepted me back with open arms and willingness to forgive.

When I lost my way and felt despondent about my path forward, they listened intently and then firmly instructed me to change the things that were bringing me down.

I don't claim to know what the future holds, but life teaches us that with age comes both greater joys and harder struggles. Perhaps even utmost happiness like we've never experienced or debilitating heartbreak that we can't overcome. No matter what circumstances my life may encounter, I know these friendships will remain and these girls will be by my side. Maybe not in person, but forever in my heart.

Dana and I go way back. We explored our wild sides together, became roommates at Texas A&M, and moved to Houston together to start our careers after college. She inspires me to be my best self and turn to God in both the good and bad.

Katherine and I really bonded in high school when we began mentoring young kids in school. Now our kids are best friends, too, and our families have so much in common. I lean on her often for help in navigating motherhood and family life.

Amanda and I became close in high school when I was her "big sister" in Z-Club, and we later bonded when we both left our careers to raise our children. Her faith, strong convictions, and great advice have gotten me through many trials.

Favorite photo of the trip. LOVE my besties!

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, I haven't read blogs in so long. what a fun surprise to read this! You summed it all up beautifully. Love you SO much friend.

    Dana

    ReplyDelete