Wednesday, March 11, 2015

100 Days of Kindergarten

February 4th marked a big day for Kaitlynn -- it was the 100th day of Kindergarten! To honor the big day, the kids were asked to make a t-shirt with 100 objects representing the 100 days of school. What a fun idea, right?

(WRONG! Don't these teachers know that I am the most terribly UN-crafty person on this planet?? Yikes!)

So it was Pinterest to the rescue! I did some searching on Pinterest for 100-day ideas, and I soon found this idea with buttons that seemed simple enough. I showed it to Kaitlynn and she loved it, so we decided to give it a go.

Our Pinterest inspiration for Kaitlynn's shirt. Looks easy enough, right??

We started our project two weekends in advance. You know, in case of a total FAIL on my part. Kaitlynn and I found a cute navy shirt at the resale shop and then we went in search of buttons at Hobby Lobby. We found what we needed and raced home to plug in the glue gun. (Cue the horror movie music! Seriously. I should not be trusted with that thing!)

Kaitlynn carefully counted out the 100 buttons and we worked together to arrange them in the flower design on the table. She was so proud of her counting, and I started feeling pretty optimistic. This was gonna work after all, phew!


The buttons all laid out on the kitchen table.

Then I started the hot-gluing. This is no joke. The glue is HOT and the residue forms spider web-type strings all over the place. I felt like I was covered in spider webs! But I managed to glue the buttons without a major catastrophe and we were quite proud of the result.


The finished product!

Love it! But then, being the complete left-brained person that I am, I decided to count the buttons. You know, just to make sure there were 100. I must've had a gut instinct that something was off, because when I counted them on the shirt, there weren't 100 buttons. There were 101! Noooooo!!!

Then I realized what had happened. In my overzealous attempt at making a perfect Pinterest copy, I had rearranged Kaitlynn's carefully counted buttons and ended up with one extra yellow button on the shirt. Totally my fault. She counted right but I had messed it up. I felt embarrassed when I told Kaitlynn my mistake and that her shirt actually had 101 buttons instead of 100. Oops! And then it became a big family joke, all of us saying that Kaitlynn would wear her shirt 2 days in a row: once for the 100-day celebration and again on the 101st day. Ha!


Kaitlynn's face when we realized our little mistake, ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment