Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Road Trippin' to Gulf Shores

One of the last hoorahs of our summer was a super fun trip to Gulf Shores, courtesy of MeMe and Granddaddy. We were looking forward to this trip all summer long!

But then we realized that due to Jeff's job change earlier this year, he was no longer going to be able to join us on the trip. Major bummer!!

Without Jeff coming with us, I was nervous about how I'd handle the kids on a 10-hour road trip. The last time we did this, it was 2 years ago on our trip to Destin. And I didn't handle the kids in the car very well (whining, constant stops!)

One of my favorite sights during a road trip: a sleeping kid! ha!

But as it turns out, the kids are now at a great age for traveling, despite some fighting. We have entered "that" age where they fight all. the. time! Why oh why??


My favorite way to travel: with my tunes cranked up to drown out the backseat fighting!

Our favorite part of the long drive is always stopping for food and snacks. But of course!


Stopping for dinner at Burger King.

We had some minor A/C issues with my car, so I ended up stopping at a hotel on the way there and back (to cool off and rest overnight). But that added to the sense of adventure; my kids are like me and LOVE hotels!


Finally made it to the hotel. That's the last time we ever saw those white sandals of Kaitlynn's. RIP.

'Sup. Rockin' the road trip! lol!

The kids handled the long trip (both ways) wonderfully. They really did! I feel like I should've earned some sort of medal or something.

One thing I did not anticipate on the road trip was the cool conversations we had (or I overheard) along the way. I made sure to write a couple down to remember.


After being on the road for a couple hours...

Kaitlynn: I'm going to put this movie player away in my backpack so I can have a little rest. With my eyes open. [Of course, she wouldn't want to admit to needing a nap, right??] Connor, I'm going to rest so don't bother me, OK? Unless you need to tell me something important, and then it's ok.

Connor: I have something very important to tell you!

Me: (thinking) Great, here comes the arguing and whining that he's bugging her and won't leave her along.

Kaitlynn: What?

Connor: I love you.

Awwwwwww!


After leaving Burger King with what was left of our food...

Connor: Mom, this chicken doesn't taste as good as it did at first.

Me: Ah yes, the law of diminishing returns.

Connor: Huh?

Me: You know, when something is really good but every subsequent bite is less and less tasty. That's like the law of diminishing returns, because the more you have something, the less you get or enjoy from it.

10 minutes later after getting gas and candy (dessert):

Connor: Mom, what's that thing about the chicken again? You know, that law?

Me: Law of diminishing returns?

Connor: That does NOT apply to this candy!

LOL!!!


After the 10 long hours of driving, it was finally worth it when we arrived in Gulf Shores and met up with our cousins. We were SO excited to see the beach and resort where we'd be staying. Stay tuned!!


Finally, the cousins all arrived!

No comments:

Post a Comment