Friday, February 22, 2013

Big Changes, Part 3


Read part 1 here and part 2 here.

It has been a rough couple of months here in the Courtright household, but we are trying to focus on the positive. The silver lining of the entire situation is that with the sales contract of our new house in Katy, Connor was able to get early enrollment into his new school and actually started attending there this week. The Katy school district is renowned for its academic excellence and exemplary schools, and the elementary campus is literally a block from our new house. The junior high and high school campuses are also exemplary and less than a minute's drive from the house.

Connor's new school is Woodcreek Elementary and their mascot is the Woodcreek Ranger. When we visited for registration, we noticed that the lobby of the school is decorated so cute with a woodsy, forest theme to go along with the Ranger mascot. So fun! After a week of homeschooling with his Mom, Connor was more than ready to get back to school. (And can I say, I was ready for him to go back, too? Ha!)


The Woodcreek Ranger in the lobby of Connor's new school.

When it was time for Connor's first day, we were both SO excited and nervous! We left our house, dressed and ready, by 6:45 a.m. on the first day to make sure we would arrive on time. It is a LONG drive with LOTS of traffic each way. We got to the school by 7:45 a.m. and we were both giddy with excitement. I warned him to expect a TON of questions from me about his day later and he wanted to know exactly how many I would ask. I told him "1 million and 63!"

There were 4 other new students starting that day so it was a busy morning. We finally walked back to Connor's classroom and met his new teacher, Ms. Vaid. She was so sweet and welcoming, and Connor was assigned a "Forest Buddy" named Cayden to help him throughout his first day. Before I left Connor in the classroom, I could tell he was feeling some butterflies and a little nervous. I was, too! I gave him a kiss and a hug and told him I'd see him after school.


Connor on his first day at his new school. Look at that smile!


As I walked out of the school that morning, I felt an overwhelming rush of emotions. I made it to my car and bawled like a baby! I was so overcome with relief at getting Connor into a positive school environment. All I could think was, "We made it!" So much thought, worry, heartache, change, and MONEY had gone into this decision to move in order to get our kids into these exemplary schools. To realize that we were finally beginning this new chapter was so comforting and such a relief.

I couldn't wait to hear about Connor's first day at his new school. It felt like such a LONG day! When the time finally came for me to pick him up, he hopped into the car grinning from ear to ear. I was squealing with delight and said I couldn't wait to hear about his day. He said, "OK, Mom, let's start the 1 million 63 questions." Ha!



Connor in the lobby on his first day.

Connor told me that it was a great day and he loved the school. The number of kids in his classroom was smaller than his last class, and he really liked that he could go to the restroom whenever he needs to without asking permission or going together with the entire class. He really enjoyed hanging out with his Forest Buddy (a fellow classmate) throughout the day, and he even earned some Ranger Rah-Rahs (student rewards) for good behavior at lunch and gym. At one point after he answered another question about his day, Connor signed and asked, "Which question are we on now?" Ha!

The most telling comment he made after his first day was when I asked him if he liked his new school better than his old school. His answering was a resounding "Yes!" followed by, "I want to go to this school for the rest of my life!" Boy, did that speak volumes to me!


Love seeing that sweet smile!

The next couple of months with a killer commute to Connor's new school is definitely going to be a challenge for the entire family, but we feel so blessed to know that his and Kaitlynn's futures are secure in a great community with outstanding schools.

And speaking of Kaitlynn, there was just 1 more issue that I had yet to tackle...


Stay tuned for Big Changes, Part 4 (the series finale, ha!).



No comments:

Post a Comment