Monday, July 12, 2021

Wrapping Up my Work on the Road

Late last August, in the midst of the pandemic panic, I received some texts from my boss and colleagues asking me if I could travel the following week for an urgent project our firm was supporting. I posted previously about the experience of traveling during such an odd time, and in many ways, the project and travel were a bit of an escape from the ongoing quarantine and lockdown measures that many across the country were still experiencing. I was happy to have work, although it was an extremely challenging project with long 12+ hour workdays away from my family.

Before I knew it, that initial week of travel had turned into many weeks across multiple cities. What followed was months on end of weekly trips to numerous locations for critical, high profile, and (seemingly) never-ending responsibilities for the most important and monumental project of my career. I was working alongside some of the most tenured professionals and incredible problem-solvers, and I was learning so much amidst one of the toughest work assignments I've ever faced.



I can't share too much about my role, but I can say that it was the only time in my career that I could be seen on CNN during 24/7 daily news coverage, and it was also the first (and likely last) time that I was contributing to work being mentioned in headlines across the globe. I saved some televised photos that were shared on the AP Newswire, and it still makes me feel so proud to have been a small part of such a monumental moment in our nation's history.




After a few months of traveling to multiple cities, I ended up taking on a longer-term role in the Memphis area. Despite spending every week in the area for months on end, I never really saw or experienced daylight where I was working because I would leave my hotel before daylight and not return until after dark at night. I spent my days inside an expansive distribution center with some of the smartest and friendliest people I've ever worked with. When daylight savings time approached, it was like I was seeing the area for the first time. My drive to work in the mornings was stunningly beautiful. I don't have a picture to prove it, but my commute actually included a drive past a gorgeous ranch home with cattle, horses, and even a zebra that roamed near the front pond! I made this drive daily, watching the landscape change from snow-covered tree branches in the cold winter to a beautiful green forest in the spring time. 




The longer I traveled to Memphis, the more comfortable I became in my role on the team. Unfortunately, it was becoming harder and harder on my family for me to be away and the travel was really taking a toll on all of us. Poor Jeff was carrying the heavy load at home in my absence, and the kids' busy schedule of school and activities were becoming too much for one person to manage. 

In mid-April, after almost 9 months of weekly work travel, I developed a transition plan with my boss and colleagues so that I could move on to another project and return home for remote work with another client. I was thrilled for the new opportunity, but admittedly it was bittersweet to say goodbye to my work family in Memphis after so much blood, sweat, and tears had been shed in this place. 




The work we all faced together in those months in Memphis was likely the most challenging yet rewarding I've ever faced in my career, and I know my colleagues would say the same. Despite the many struggles we experienced and the countless sacrifices we made, I walked away feeling beyond proud of my contributions and knowing that our team's collective accomplishments made a positive impact felt across the entire nation. I'm so thankful to have been a part of such a monumental effort, and I will always hold fond memories of my time on such a tremendous and talented team.




No comments:

Post a Comment