Saturday, January 6, 2018

Driving in Dubai

Driving in Dubai was something that I had read a great deal about before moving here. Many of the other blogs I've read talked about how crazy the driving can be and confusing as well. The roads are designed as such that if you miss your exact exit or turn, it can take you a while to get back on course again and the detour may cost you 10-20 minutes. I also read about the aggressiveness of drivers here, but to be honest that didn't overly scare me because I'm more than familiar with aggressive drivers in the Houston area!

Tourists that arrive in Dubai are allowed to drive vehicles using their local driver's license. But when you become a resident, you are then required to have your UAE driver's license, which you cannot obtain until you get your UAE (Emirates) id card. The time it takes between getting your resident visa and UAE ID is about 2-3 weeks. As I type this post, I am in that in-between period of having my resident visa but not yet having my Emirates ID. So why does that matter? Because for the moment, in my first couple of weeks in Dubai, I am homebound and unable to drive. And my kids are not in school due to the winter break. Yikes! Jeff and I laugh because we have my new (used) car all gassed up and ready to drive, but it's just sitting in the garage unused until I can get my local driver's license. What a bummer!




In the meantime, we have used the Dubai Metro rail and we are also taking a lot of cab rides. The taxi situation here is super convenient and easy. I downloaded the Careem app, similar to Uber, and I can have a car at my doorstep in less than 5 minutes. Of course, the cost adds up, which is why we've been keeping our trips close and simple while I've been unable to drive.

Back to the Dubai driving... I have learned and observed several things already when I've driven myself (back when I was still just a tourist) or when I've been driving around. I thought it would be interesting to share a few things.

First of all, I had read about this and can now confirm. If you don't GO immediately after the light changes green at an intersection, you will be honked at. Immediately, I tell you!

Secondly, watch your speed around the city because you could get nabbed at anytime by an automated radar detector. They are mounted on these solar panels and they will zap you and then you'll be charged a fine automatically.




There is an app through the Dubai Roads and Transit Authority (RTA) that you can download and register your vehicle so that you can be notified of these fines before they add late fees. I've been told these speeding fines are referred to as the "road tax" ha! On that same app, you can also link your various vehicles, toll tag, Metro passes, etc. so that you can pay for a parking spot, add money to your Metro or toll account, and all kinds of other services. I find that to be incredibly useful, although I'm still trying to figure out how to set it all up!

One cool thing I've noticed while out and about is that some of the parking garages are equipped with electronic lights at each parking space. Red light = occupied and green light = vacant. It's so useful to be able to glance down the parking aisle and spot immediately whether or not a space is available.




Another common situation you will encounter while driving here is the sudden lane-changing. And I don't mean just changing from one lane to the next. What I'm referring to is when the driver on the far left lane suddenly swerves right, crossing 5-6 lanes of traffic at once in order to exit from the right-most lane, causing everyone in its path to slam their brakes to avoid a collision. I realize that happens everywhere, but it seems to be MUCH more frequent here. Combine the crazy lane-changers with the roundabouts at most intersections and, well, seatbelts are a must!

Finally, I would be remiss to document our Dubai driving experience without mentioning the vehicles. Fancy cars, exotic cars, performance cars...you name it! They are EVERYWHERE in Dubai. On one of our recent trips to the neighborhood grocery store, we encountered a Rolls Royce, Maserati, and McLaren all within the same block. Just a typical afternoon! When we first arrived in Dubai and visited our neighbor's home for a family barbeque, they showed us their recent purchase -- a Lamborghini Aventador, 1 of only 50 made in the entire world. The wealth in vehicles here is incredible and you will see the most stunning cars no matter where you look. Jeff and I have never been "car people" but we are sure enjoying the view of the ones here!












Update: I wrote this story last week before it was scheduled to post. I am now happy to report that I am finally a licensed driver here in Dubai, woohoo! Freedom!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment