Wednesday, December 13, 2017

See ya later!

Although we'd known for weeks that our move date was quickly approaching, the emotions still caught me off guard. Normally I'm a fairly reserved person with few outward emotions, but that all changed with this move from Katy TX to Dubai UAE. We had spent many years (4.5 to be exact) cultivating our friends, community, and comfort zone in Katy TX. Walking away felt more personal than I was prepared for. Every gathering and event became the "last" that we would have for a while. We very quickly adopted the phrase, "See ya later!" because goodbyes were just too tough.

More than my own emotions, Jeff and I were concerned about the kids and how they would handle the transition. There were many tears and tough conversations throughout the months leading up to the move, but how would they react when the time came to leave our family home and say "See ya later" to their friends?

I decided to organize a party of sorts for Connor and Kaitlynn to enjoy with their friends as a last hurrah in Katy. I called up our local Altitude Trampoline Park and arranged a night for us to show up, and I printed up loads of flyers for the kids to distribute to as many friends as they wished. Our family has never been big on organized parties simply because of the $$$$ cost, so the reaction from the kids for their party was awesome. They were SO excited!


During their last week of school, the kids loved handing out the flyers. It gave them something fun to look forward to instead of focusing on their final days at their WoodCreek schools. I ordered two large cookie cakes -- Nestle, their favorite! -- and we arrived at Altitude ready to celebrate with friends! It wasn't long before friend after friend showed up for the fun. Connor was truly in his element with his buddies, and Kaitlynn was running around with her girl squad the entire night (so much that I didn't manage any pics of her group!) We took a few photos and a special "See ya later!" video clip to document the evening, but then it was off to dodgeball and jumping all night long.

There might have been a few tears on my part, but it was all smiles and sweat for the kiddos! Mission accomplished! Probably my favorite part of the evening was seeing the kids' teachers, current and past, showing up with their own kids to show their support for Connor and Kaitlynn. Knowing that their teachers have taught hundreds (or more) kids over the years, it touched me beyond words to see the impact that my kids were leaving on these special women.












What a night we'll never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment