Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Amazon and Souq

When it began to sink it that our family was making the international move to Dubai from Texas, I began mentally preparing myself and setting my expectations for living there. There aren't many things in life that I take on without googling the heck out of them -- even the simplest purchase I make usually has at least 30 minutes of "internet research" behind it! So you can imagine then how much reading and researching I did for MONTHS about Dubai, UAE, and all of the changes I should expect upon moving here. I was even lucky enough to meet a neighbor in Katy whose family also lived in Dubai years ago, and she was a tremendous resource for me in the weeks/months leading up to our move.

Everyone is unique and has their own priorities and preferences, but for me, one of the things I was most concerned about missing from home was... Amazon! Does this surprise anyone that this is at the top of my list?? Come on, aren't all Americans addicted to the 2-day Prime delivery of Amazon? I never realized how much I depended on this service until I realized I wouldn't have anything like it in Dubai. Or at least, that's what I thought.

When I googled mail service or home delivery in Dubai, web articles would discuss how mail service doesn't exist in UAE the way it does in USA, and that most people have all of their items delivered to their workplace. But in the same article, people would rave about how much they love the convenience of getting anything and everything you need delivered in Dubai. So if home delivery works easily for groceries and restaurant orders, why not for retail goods? Nothing I read in advance led me to understand how this would work, so I just set my expectation to zero on this.

In my first day of living here, I was searching for a few small appliances that I didn't find in Carrefour. I did a quick google search for "small appliances in UAE" and I quickly found this website called Souq.com. Living in Dubai, you become very familiar with the term "souq" which is a marketplace, similar to a mall, with a collection of shops. I was able to find both small appliances that I was shopping for -- an ice maker and a slow cooker -- on the Souq.com website. And then I noticed the small print below the Souq.com logo.
Wait...what?! Amazon?? I switched to another browser window and did a search on Souq/Amazon to understand what I was seeing. As it turns out, Amazon purchased Souq.com a few months ago in an effort to expand its reach into the Middle Eastern market. And even cooler than that, they actually just launched their global marketplace THIS MONTH, expanding the item selection available on Souq.com. I couldn't believe my luck! I was able to log into the Souq.com website using my Amazon credentials, place my order, obtain very low cost shipping for my two small appliances (10 AED each, which is the equivalent of $2.50 each), and arrange for delivery right to my doorstep! The delivery estimate I was given was a week away, but I actually received both items within 2 days of my order. That right there is Amazon PRIME! (Souq Prime??)

I was on an Amazon high for about 2 days from this discovery! Two days later, I submitted another Souq.com order for a few Christmas gifts for the kids. Again I was given a cheaper price than what I'd seen in local stores, and all of my packages were delivered to my doorstep well ahead of the projected delivery date.




Souq even has its own app just like Amazon, and I've noticed that their product selection is expanding with each new day. I have a feeling that Souq and I will be besties in no time.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for Amazon Souq!! Or, Souq Amazon?? Either way, YES, to having stuff (need or want) delivered ASAP!! =) Hope you guys had a Merry Christmas. =)

    ReplyDelete