Thursday, June 18, 2015

Wrapping up Kindergarten

I honestly can't believe the time has come that my BABY has finished up her kindergarten year. It has been such a whirlwind year for us all.

Jeff and I debated for months (years?) on whether to start Kaitlynn in kindergarten this past year. In the end, we decided she was ready but we reserved the right to hold her back a year once we saw how she fared at the end of the year. I remember sitting in her class at the first kindergarten curriculum night and listening to her teacher, Mrs. Wright, tell the parents that the kids were going to be writing in their daily journals. I actually laughed out loud because I was thinking, "No way, not Kaitlynn, she is not ready for that."

I couldn't have been more wrong!

These days, this daughter of ours doesn't go a single day without writing some kind of note or love letter (usually to her Sweet Daddy) and leaving them all around the house. She has made such tremendous progress with her reading and writing, all thanks to her awesome year of kindergarten!


Kaitlynn's kindergarten class photo (she is top row, far left).

Just like her big brother Connor, there was no shortage of fun and activities to wrap up Kaitlynn's kindergarten year.

On the week before school ended, I made a special trip up to Kaitlynn's class. Since Kaitlynn has a summer birthday, we made sure to celebrate early with her entire class. She got to wear a birthday crown for the entire day, and I brought some cookies to share with her friends. She sure felt extra special that day!


My little birthday girl.

One of Kaitlynn's classmates took this pic of us with my phone after I read some books to the class.

Kaitlynn with her beloved kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Wright. Oh how we will miss her!

On that same day, the school library hosted a popcorn party for select kids that met their reading goal for the school year. Kaitlynn completed all of the required reading and apparently ended up in 2nd place for the entire kindergarten grade, so she was awarded with this really cool sticker book. She was so proud of herself!


Kaitlynn's prize for reading so many books this year.

During the last week of school in our district, each grade level hosts a "Celebration of Learning" where the kids get to showcase some of their work from the year and do a little presentation. For Kaitlynn's Celebration of Learning, Mrs. Wright gave this little presentation about Kaitlynn.

And for ANY of you who know me, this will make you laugh at how much she is EXACTLY like her mother!! My mom sure got a kick out of it :-)





Kaitlynn with two of her besties from kinder, Haasini and Sarah, at their Celebration of Learning.

Ready for her kindergarten celebration of learning.

After the classroom presentations, Mrs. Wright and the kiddos presented me with a sweet gift and a signed card by everyone as a thank you gift for being the Homeroom Parent. I was honored to have been able to spend so much time in the classroom this year and watch these sweet kiddos transform before my eyes. It feels like yesterday that I was just doing the same thing in Connor's kindergarten class. I sure miss those cuties just like I will miss these.

For the kindergarten kiddos' final performance, we headed to the gym where they put on a short musical presentation for the parents. Here is one of the songs -- I thought the grandparents might enjoy this. Kaitlynn was actually singing so loudly that I could hear her from many rows back in the huge gym, and you can even see her classmates looking at her oddly wondering why she's so loud, ha!





Mrs. Wright with Kaitlynn and Haasini. We will SO miss them over the summer!

Haasini took this photo of my with my girl :-)

I remember someone once telling me that we send our little ones off to Kindergarten as babies but they emerge as such big kids. SO, so true. We are so proud of Kaitlynn for such a great year in Kindergarten. She is beyond ready for 1st grade now.

The only question is, am I??



No comments:

Post a Comment