Monday, December 16, 2013

End of Season Wrap-up

Connor's Texans team wrapped up the end of their season this month. What a great season it has been!

Our first playoff game against the Eagles was a hard-fought victory. The boys were so excited to move on to the semi-finals in the playoffs, where they would once again play the (mighty) Dolphins (the #1 team that beat the Texans 21-0 in their opening game).

On the day of the big game against the Dolphins, we had unusually COLD weather. It was in the low 40s with frigid wind and rain. The football field was a muddy mess, and the kids (and spectators) were miserably cold. Despite the tough team and nasty weather, our Texans played so hard and kept it a close game, within a touchtown in the 4th quarter. In the end the Dolphins won, but one of their coaches later admitted that it was probably their toughest game all season. We were SO proud of our Texans for hanging in there and playing so hard.


The whole family was there for the big game against the Dolphins.


Kevin and Kaitlynn trying to stay warm.

Collin was a cold spectator.

I took some video during the game and was able to capture one of Connor's great plays of the season. He was playing defense when the Dolphins were going for their extra point after a touchdown. Connor (#90) brought down the runner by his feet. Awesome tackle!





Here's a story from the game that I don't want to forget. After the hard-fought game, the boys were just miserable from the cold and from the loss. I felt so bad for them! I was quickly scrambling trying to gather up all of our gear and belongings, and I looked over to see Connor standing there shivering and looking pretty pathetic. I walked up to him, realizing I should probably get him warmed up, and I could tell he was on the verge of tears.

"Hey buddy, are you OK?" I asked, walking up to him. That's all it took, and then he burst into tears! I was caught off guard because Connor rarely shows emotion, so I started wondering if he was hurt. "Are you OK?" I asked, as I pulled him into a hug.

"I don't know," he sobbed.

"Are you hurt? What's the matter?" I asked, kneeling down and looking into his eyes.

"I don't know!" he cried. "No really, I don't know!"

At that point, I realized he was just overcome with emotion from the loss of their playoff game, the hard-fought loss in the tough weather. Poor guy! I hugged him tight while he let his tears flow, and I shed a few myself for my sweet boy. Oh, the emotions of this game we all love!!


After the game, the boys were filthy!

To celebrate a great season, one of the coaches hosted a team party. I wasn't able to go because Kaitlynn was at home sick, but Jeff and Connor had a great time with the team.

But probably the highlight of Connor's season was the semi-finalist team presentations at the Turf Bowl (the "super bowl" of his league). The Texans were presented their semi-finalist tropies on the field at Rhodes Stadium during half-time. Each player had their name called over the loud speaker at the big stadium and ran onto the field to accept their trophy. It was in the low 30's with frigid wind, but that didn't stop the boys from relishing their moment. As Connor ran to accept his trophy, he gave a J.J. Watt salute, ha! It was such a honor for these guys to be recognized for their great season.

Connor, #90, walking off the field holding his trophy high.

A quick sideline pic of the semi-finalist Texans. Great season, boys!

And now for a funny story about the trophy presentation. Connor recently had to write about a "small moment" for a homework assignment. He chose to write about when he received his semi-finalist trophy. Here is the story in his own words:

"Introducing Chad Hagan's Texans!" said the announcer. I heard and saw the crowd applauding. Then I heard my coach (Coach Chad) starting to call out names. "Kaden Glass," he said. Kaden ran toward our coach. He got a huge trophie [sic]. "Hunter Boudreaux," he said. Hunter is so fast, he looks like wind. And finally, I heard the name I was waiting for. "Connor Courtright," he said. I ran toward Coach Chad. At least halfway through I did a J.J. Watt salute. I did the salute, and kept on running. When I got my trophie, I looked at it. At the bottom it said, "2013 Katy Youth Football Pee Wee Division Semi Finalist." I was so excited. This was the biggest trophie I ever got! It looked like real gold. When I started to walk back up to see my dad, I yelled, "We're rich!"

I laughed and laughed when I read his story. This kid sure knows how to tell his story! I'm so proud of Connor and the entire Texans team for a great first season of tackle football. We all learned so much and can't wait for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment